Lovers tiff.

Any ideas why my male lion head is roughing up the female? Nothing has changed other than a water change I did yesterday, fry are still living happily with them. They are due to have a tank upgrade, once I get myself sorted. I have her in a breeding net where they can still see each other bit he can't touch her. Any suggestions about this sudden behaviour and solutions will be much appreciated.

Sounds like he may be getting frisky and she isn't ready yet. Perhaps barometric pressure combined with a water change set him off.

WOW soooo technical. Thanks for that. I don't want to completely separate them as apparently they don't cope with this too well. Will monitor today hope she doesn't die.

she is obviously not doing what she's told. :D

he is dominating her for an upcoming breeding i think, keep an eye on them.

Thanks Smidey, he's seemed to have "cooled down" since I move her to her breeding net/trap....will monitor over the week and make plans to relocate them to a bigger thank....once she's better.

why did you separate them? is she injured?

if you separate them he will start all over again so i don't think it's a good idea at all. I would leave them to it, if you separate them i think it could get a lot worse when she returns. IMO it's best to leave it to them to sort it out, if one dies then so be it. Removing a fish for protection is delaying the inevitable i think, these are animals that have their own ways of sorting things out and that applies to male v male scraps to.

why did you separate them? is she injured?

if you separate them he will start all over again so i don't think it's a good idea at all. I would leave them to it, if you separate them i think it could get a lot worse when she returns. IMO it's best to leave it to them to sort it out, if one dies then so be it. Removing a fish for protection is delaying the inevitable i think, these are animals that have their own ways of sorting things out and that applies to male v male scraps to.

She's still in the tank just not able to be harassed. Yes she is injured and really don't want her to die, repairing lump heads is apparently very difficult once one mate dies.