Ich - Salt treatment not working - what now?

nzfauna

Hi guys

I noticed some white spot in my tank.

I tried Acriflavine, but more spots appeared after the first spots disappeared.

So, I salted the tank with 4Tb per 5 gallons (18.9L) at a temperative of 23-24 degrees C.

Again, more spots appeared after the first spots seems to successfully disappear.

I'd appreciate advice on what to do now. The tank has guppies, hatchetfish, and a couple of shrimp.

Many thanks,

NZF

I would increase the temperature to around 28-30 degrees to speed up the life cycle, at 23 - 24 degrees it can take over a month for the cycle to complete, but you'll want to remove the shrimp first as they will not handle that temp. if you can remove the fish to a quarantine tank for a few of weeks to let the protozoa die off in the main tank, try a quinine based medication such as White spot cure.

Acriflavine doesn't do too much to the protozoa unfortunately.

remember whitespot is only able to be killed when it is not on the fish.

fair enough,

I've had bad reactions from previous mixes so I just avoid any mixes all together nowdays. saves a lot of homework and trouble. plus Wundertonic on its own should do the trick if treatment is properly administered, then again, salt on its own should do the trick as well.

Thanks guys. I am trying the combined treatment.

I took a bucket of salted water out of the tank (65L), and replaced it with a bucket of fresh water. Then added the recommended dose of Wunder Tonic.

I removed the carbon filter. I am also keeping the lights off because Malachite Green (one of the constituents of Wunder Tonic) is apparently light labile.

I've read that it's recommended to continue treatment for 10 days AFTER all visible signs of ich have gone. So I will do that and report back.

I've found this page to be useful with info about and treatments for ich. Although it is in a cichlid forum, it's more of a general guide and mentions other types of fish: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php