si_sphinx's RSM

si_sphinx

So I have started a small 130ltr Red Sea Max marine tank for a learning tank before I convert my 800ltr to salt.

I have done a lot of research but still learning and need this tank as a learning curve so any mistakes made will hopefully be a lot easier than making them on a bigger scale.

I set the RSM up on Saturday.

I started with my substrate. Red Sea Aragonite substrate base with calcium chips mixed in.

Added my dead coral rock to the way I wanted it.

Then added tap water.

Turned the heater and pumps on.

I left it all to soak over night in the warm water, then siphoned out the water and added prepared salt water.

The salt water was made up with tap water(anti chlorine chems added) for now until my RODI unit arrives next week.

Added the cycle starter chemicals that come with the tank. I don't usually use these when starting tanks but I have them so may as well use them.

I tested the water today for ammonia just out of curiosity, and it was measuring 0.50ppm after 2 days.

I am guessing this is because I never cleaned the dead rock before I put it in the tank. I use to use the rock in my cichlid tanks and never use to clean it and worked well when starting new tanks.

It had been dry for a 11 months.

I'm not sure if marine is different in the cycling process but would think this would be helpful in starting the cycle..?

I have also added a cooked shrimp from the supermarket to help.

My LFS have also said they would give me some water and sand from their tank when I have had it running for a few weeks.

Tank is still a bit cloudy

1Setup28072012.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It has been just over 4 weeks since I set this up now and the cycle seems to be going good.

The LFS gave me some water and sand from their tank to help it cycle.

Ammonia and nitrite spikes have been and gone.

Algae bloom hit hard and realized I had the lights on for too long, so have turned them back to 6 hours and algae is now retreating.

And now I have two male mollies in it to test it for a further few weeks before I add any life.

I am surprised at how patient I have been with this tank. :spop:

LEDs in the hood blew within days of setting it up. And just soldered new bulbs in tonight.

No photos yet as there is nothing really to look at that is different from the first photo.

Their last shipment including the chromides were in there for over 2 weeks, the maroon clown they had was in there dead till I said something, I have seen a few dead fish in that marine tank dude. I am sure the mollies will pick up on it though if there is a disease.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I have a rough Idea of what I want to keep in it but that always changes when I see something else I want.

It has just about been 2 months since I started this tank.

And today added the first fish. 2x blue/green chromis. Its so good to finally have something to look at.

I also added a small Rose bubble tip anemone and various zoas, polyps, etc. a few weeks ago.

Still battling algae. Cleaned a heap out today and done a water change. I have added extra flow and added carbon to try kill this algae off. I have purigen coming next week.

I have tested ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH and salinity every week so far.

Week 1: ammonia 0.5-1.0, nitrite 0.25-0.50, nitrate 0.0, pH 8.1, salinity 1.030

Week 2: ammonia 1.0, nitrite 0.50-1.0, nitrate 0.0, pH 8.1, salinity 1.026

Week 3: ammonia 0.5, nitrite 1.0, nitrate 0.25, pH 8.1, salinity 1.026

Week 4: ammonia 0.0, nitrite 1.0, nitrate 5.0, pH 8.1, salinity 1.026

Week 5: ammonia 0.0, nitrite 0.50, nitrate 5.0, pH 8.0, salinity 1.026

Week 6: ammonia 0.0, nitrite 0.0, nitrate 0.0, pH 8.0, salinity 1.026

Week 7:ammonia 0.0, nitrite 0.0, nitrate 0.0, pH 8.0, salinity 1.027

322092012_zps0ff79b28.jpg

422092012_zps74eeb954.jpg

522092012_zps4b93fc19.jpg

I had a jeweled rock hopper fish in my 150 ltr tank. It did well controling algae on the rocks though it was not very keen on the hairy algae. Unfortunately my tank did not produce enough algae to keep it going and it would only take flake food reluctantly so I swapped it for what I think is called a gold headed gobi, anyway it has a white body yellow head with a blue stripe like indian war paint. It doesnt take the algae off the rocks much but constantly sieves the sand which keeps it clean though you get a bit of debri floating around untill the finest stuff gets filtered out, and it drags the coral sand out from under the rocks and makes mounds but that is easy enough to deal with.

• 1 month later...

I got a Naso tang a while ago and it has done a great job at keeping the algae away.

My tanks cycle has got to a point where the algae has started to die off now.

I am careful with my feeding and everything else so I don't add any unwanted phosphates.

I have added the purigen to help.

IMG_20121026_201014.jpg

All the green algae has gone and now just the odd spot of red slim is left but it is slowly turning black and disappearing.

I have the lights on for 6 hours a day at the moment.

Does anyone know if I could start to extend these hours out longer? Or would that just promote more algae growth?

Looks nice and clean, you must be doing it right to keep an Anemone alive in a new tank. Nice looking nem

I did add it a bit early but I have to buy things as soon as they come up for sale down here because they are not always available.

I reckon it has doubled in size since I bought it. Its growing fast.

• 8 months later...