Second Tank Set up Proceedure

jontyjfoo

I have just bought a second hand tank (36"x15"x15") that I want to set up on the weekend - Is it a good idea to use some water from my other tank (AR980) to help establish it? I will be using new substrate which I will have to rinse. My first tank has been set up for 6 months and has Tiger,Odessa, Rosy Barbs and a Flying Fox. In my new tank I intend to have a pair of Kribenses.

Might as well use some water from the old tank, though it doesn't really have any bacteria in it. Better off transferring a bunch of the substrate over if they're going to be the same, otherwise if they've got cannister filters or you can move some of or most of the media to the new tank then you'll be able to stock it fully almost straight away.

What sort of filter are you using? Could you transfer some of the media from it to the new filter? That would help a lot.

Not everyone is an expert speller or good with grammar. This does not mean they need correcting. Please stick to the topic without criticising perceived mistakes.

Ah I hadn't noticed your sig change Ira, no wonder I got confused :o

A Whisper filter has little bags in it doesn't it? Swap the old bag for the new one and put it on the new tank, or, if possible, can they be cut in half and have half old half new in each? I don't have a Whisper filter so not sure what is in them. If they have 2 bags, just swap one around so each filter has one old and one new.

What i did and i have a couple of the AR tanks was to take 1/2 the filter pads out of the old tank and replaced with new ones, the old ones were just dropped in to the new tank or you could put them in filter. Worked great for one week then add a couple of fish to test and build bio stength, one week after this started add final fish to be stock in 10-20 (tetras) lots. Only loses due to poor stock at LFS. Fish breeded and riased at home are always bigger brigther best.

HI jjf (hahah thats my initials too)

I started up a small tank (60x30x30cms) a couple of months ago. I was in the fortunate position of having a big tank (110x50x50cm) as my main tank. So this is what i did....

I set the "hang on" type filter up on my big tank and ran it for a week to fill it with bacteria. If you have got the room just set up the new filter on your old tank and run 2 filters - I dont think it will do any harm

When the time came to set up my new tank i took 50l of water from my big tank ( a normal water change) and tipped it into new one - it then needed only 15ish litres of water to top it up. Install the hang on on the new tank and I was away... No wi realise you might not do 50l water changes but I work on the theroy that you might as well help the process along as much as possible by using water from you old tank. evry little bit will help speed the process up.

Couple of pics here if you like to look, taken a week or so after set up. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/DiverJohn/2_Footer002.jpg and....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/DiverJohn/2_Footer001.jpg

I have got 4 Gold Barbs, 3 Kuhlli Loaches, and a Medium size bristlenose. A good helping of plants, good chunk of driftwood, it is naturally lit only...

HTH John

You can never have too much filtration. One of my 250L tanks has an Eheim wet/dry at one end, my new Jebo 819 at the other (replacing a Fluval 404) plus 2 Shark internals (there in case they are needed in another tank ie quarantine). This means I always have a filter on hand.