12L Nano

DennisP

Just rescaped my 12L nano into something more interesting two days ago.

Been waiting for the water to settle down before grabbing some photos, however it still isn't very clear.

Dimensions: Height - 27cm, Width - 28cm, Depth - 19.2cm

Lighting: 1 x 18w 6400k CFL

Substrate: JBL aquabasis plus topped with river sand and gravel

Temp: 25*C

Plants: Rotala Rotundifolia, hygrophila corymbosa stricta, E. Amazonicus, Hydrocotyl sp., Anubias Barteri Nana, Vesicularia montagnei

Fish: 2 Adult Platy, 2 Young Platy, 1 Otto, 1 Left over Mosquito Rasbora

Plan: Grow the hygro out the top, for a vivarium look, Grow rotala as background and let the rest fill in.

I would like to swap out the sword for something else that but unsure what.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Sorry for bad picture quality

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiousity, what is the smallest/most efficient for size and cost external filter for nano tanks?

I'm also considering glass piping.

My DIY co2 didn't really work, so I have some flourish excel and comprehensive but I have no idea on dosing regimes, or how to measure such small amounts so any advice on that is welcome.

Update:

- Removed the H. Corymbosa "Stricta" at the back right, and replaced it with H. Polysperma.

- Then trimmed the H. Corymbosa and put it back in, and hope it will grow out of the top like on the left.

- R. Rotundifolia is growing nicely

- Added 2 Dwarf puffer at the beginning of the week and they are getting on well. I think one is male and the other is potentially a female. A few territorial squabbles but nothing vicious.

- Added more gravel to the back left where there was some required so now I have a little extra room for planting.

- Algae is getting worse, so I bought some excel the other day but it turned out to be comprehensive so I may as well use it. I now have excel too, so I will try to kill the Staghorn algae which is spreading across my Anubias (any advice welcome)

- Went to the LFS with the intention of buying a gravel vacuum hose (all I had was airline tubing which wasn't cutting it) and came back with:

- 2 Bumblebee Gobies (Hmmmm... Impulse buy. We will see how it turns out)

- 5 Twisted Val plants for $3.90 which is half the price of anything on trademe :happy1:

IMAG0291.jpg

Update:

- Removed the H. Corymbosa "Stricta" at the back right, and replaced it with H. Polysperma.

- Then trimmed the H. Corymbosa and put it back in, and hope it will grow out of the top like on the left.

- R. Rotundifolia is growing nicely

- Added 2 Dwarf puffer at the beginning of the week and they are getting on well. I think one is male and the other is potentially a female. A few territorial squabbles but nothing vicious.

- Added more gravel to the back left where there was some required so now I have a little extra room for planting.

- Algae is getting worse, so I bought some excel the other day but it turned out to be comprehensive so I may as well use it. I now have excel too, so I will try to kill the Staghorn algae which is spreading across my Anubias (any advice welcome)

- Went to the LFS with the intention of buying a gravel vacuum hose (all I had was airline tubing which wasn't cutting it) and came back with:

- 2 Bumblebee Gobies (Hmmmm... Impulse buy. We will see how it turns out)

- 5 Twisted Val plants for $3.90 which is half the price of anything on trademe :happy1:

He already did :slfg:

It is a sad day today.

Just got back from being out.. And have found my last surviving Mosquito Rasbora, and my 2 new Bumble Bee Gobies have jumped.

It happens I suppose... but still sad. My 2 puffers are still there though which is good.

I had filled the water just under the brim, but that would hardly be the cause of the jumping. I might have expected 1 to jump.. but not 3.

Any causes to this? Water temp is fine, the rest I cannot check, but I just did a 40% WC today which to date has not yet showed any signs of being a problem.

I think I will find me some more nice fish, so If anyone is heading CHCH - Dunedin this week or next, let me know if you could bring me some goodies :)

I've seen some tiny ones... I could try DIY one too...

Why not get a Sun sun canister with lily pipes to reduce the current, would provide excellent filtration and much needed volume in a nano tank. Or this if you don't want so much flow.

IME DIY canisters are hard to construct and seal, usually failing quickly. Buying one is better.

most of the jumpers I have dealt with have had a bit of a fright, could even be as simple as a door closing too hard, or a mouse in the room (use to lose a heap of swordtails at the fish farm, whole heap would jump out of just one row every night, then when I went in after dark, there was a rat running across the tanks edge, dead rat, no more jumpers)