Propagating java fern

GrahamC

I noticed a few weeks back that I had a java fern leaf that had detached from the rhizome and was floating in the tank. It had patchy brown spots on it so presumably nutrient deficiency. Anyway I neglected to remove it, and it has remained in the tank floating near the surface. Step forward to today, and it's still there, still mostly green, and now some plantlets are growing from it.

So, my question is, since stress causes the plantlets to appear, and since single leaves can appear to survive free floating, is it a reasonable method to encourage plantlets by cutting single leaves off a mature plant and let them float? The cut leaves will be stressed maybe, and then might sprout?

And what do I do to the plantlets as they detach? Just let them float around or get them to attach to something? Does it make a difference?

My tank has silica sand only, and I've feeding it some flourish with PWCs.

Java reproduces by sending up plantlets from those brown spots, or from where you cut it off. You can also encourage new growth by snapping or cutting the roots, or snapping leaves in half.

It does not mind being left to float about or you can anchor it down if you prefer. Sometimes it helps to leave them floating until they grow enough roots long enough to slip under a rock, notch in some driftwood, or whatever.

Sometimes they do not split and just grow as big as the parents - they are pretty self sufficient from a couple of tiny leaves and usually survive quite well if knocked off. I have some good sized plantlets hanging off the sides of leaves still attached to the mother plant and only yank them off it there are too many of them or I want to put them somewhere else.

http://fishpix.s3.amazonaws.com/IMG_0293.JPG

The plantlet shown in the middle is over 10 cm long from stem to leaf tip. I could have pulled it off but generally wait until they fall off when I'm doing tank maintenance.

http://fishpix.s3.amazonaws.com/IMG_0294.JPG

This free floating leaf has developed plantlets at the tip, a couple of cm from the tip, and one just above the pond snail. I was intending to pull the leaf out and chuck it ... but interesting that it has survived as is.