borer bombing the house

chris b

it sounds funny but Glad wrapping the tank, or duct taping a plastic sheet over it is a good Idea, would drop the water level by half to increase available oxygen and turn off all air pumps (or if you want place an air pump in a safe area and run air tubing to it) the aim is to make it as air tight as possible but make sure the fish have enough oxygen. (I would consider a couple of fish bins and heater plus air pump and catch as much as you can)

haha ok this sounds intresting.Ill get sum srink wrap from work wrap it up air tight and put some air lines going outside one pumping air in and one taking it out and drop the water level to half way ill let yiz no how i get on thanks for the advice.

It is the wrong time of year to borer bomb your house, they need to be 'on the wing' ie. adults.

One further thing. The borer bombs at the hardware stores are useless. They only kill adults that are active at the time of the bombing and come in contact with the chemical. I would not waste my money on buying bombs and get a proper pest control guy that has experence with borer.

We have an old 1910 villa and tried the bombs two years in the row, without any noticeable success. One treatment by a pest control guy and they are history.

On that note through. The chemical is applied as a outside coating on the exposed timber. The grubs inside the wood will continue to grow until they hatch, which takes approximate 5 years.

Ask the guy to leave some chemical with you as well. You will need a glass container, the chemical eats plastic. Get yourself a syringe and inject any holes that look like they are active.

ok i havnt seen any flying but have just put my foot threw the floor boards so they must be there somewhere i will contact the pest guy and see what he recommends thanks for the advice saves me spending $30 on rubbish products

The Common House Borer prefers old, well seasoned timber. The beetles emerge from the wood between November and February, they are more active at night, and return to flight holes during the day to lay eggs.

The Two-toothed Longhorn Borer is more destructive. it prefers softwood timbers. These beetles emerge during autumn, and are active over a long period. They dislike light and prefer the underside of timber.

The Powder Post Borer is similar to the Common House Borer, but only attacks the sapwood of hardwood timbers (Oak, Tawa, etc.). It lays its eggs in the pores of the hardwood, so softwoods are not affected.

This info is from my BCITO training manual. :slfg:

Ive been in houses that were borer bombed before and every time I just throw a sheet over the tank. I don't use bubblers but best to turn them off. When the bombing is complete, I opened all the windows and doors to air out the house and wiped down all surfaces I cook on etc. And wiped all the outside of my tank and equipment just to be safe. Ive never lost any fish from this.