Help!!! Salvini in trouble

F15hguy

Have a large male Salvini that used to be the king of his tank, 5 days ago he dissappeared for a couple of days and since his return he has been lying on the bottom gasping.

I pulled him out to inspect his gills and half of his gills have been torn out along with the bit that connects front and back, I am assuming this was the result of a fight with the other Salvini's in the tank.

question is, will it grow back? or should I send him to the great tank in the sky?

Hi Mate,

Sorry to hear about your Salvini..

If the gills have been severed and are hanging out I would say he's a goner for sure. No point extending his misery.

As for putting him down. With a big fish I would take him out and sever his head quickly with a sharp knife.

I guess there are chemical ways but IMO that is just fluffing around for the same result in the end.. His death will be quick if you use a knife.

So ironic how we often discuss how to put down our little aquarium fish in the most humane way possible when you think about big scale commercial fishing where millions of fish are simply poured into the hull of a ship and will all suffocate slowly..

I'm not saying we shouldn't be humane.. it's just ironic

It all depends.... on how serious it is .. as hovmoller says above...

Are the gill covers damaged at all ? if he was attacked there should be some visible damage ..

How old is the fish ? If it is still fairly young there is a chance that it could grow back and recover .. if it's not too distressed you could just wait on it for a few days and see whether it starts to make a recovery... if it's an older fish or the injury is quite severe... then the damage can lead to death. Have you got a tank it can be in on it's own for now?

If it is obviously struggling to breath and move the kindest thing you can do is put it down. Are both sides affected?

If you decide to end it's life - be respectful of the fact that it can feel what's going on and that it deserves the same diginity any other living creature does. Here is a good article talking about some of the humane methods. http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/81 and read this too http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/81

If your a little more hearty and want a quick result - a very very sharp knife .. If you are going to hesitate though .. (like I would) get someone else to do it who isnt going to chicken out half way through and prolong the misery for the fish.

Good luck.

I think its the knife method, will wait till later in the day (this is a retail store and the customers might get a bit grossed out).

btw its entire throat was ripped out plus half the gill mass

had to send off about 50 large angels once in a commercial fish farm and was the most unpleasant thing I have ever done.