Putting silica sand into my fish tank

AdamBro

Yo

a few weeks back I brought white silica sand for my jaguar tank

And ive been it putting off for a while because my jags have been

Spawning. I dont wanna take the fish out of the tank to do the

Switch over so I was thinking ill just take say 50% water out and

Fill 1 half with the silica and then over time gradually even it out.

Has anyone done this before? Im just looking for some tips maybe

There is a easier way, and will I have to rinse the silica sand out before putting

It in the tank or no?

Cheers

Adam

Good points, that was on my mind when I was thinking about buying the silica (fish making a mess, silica clouds) :slfg:

So if this doesnt workout ive been interested in malawi for a while. Should be alright tho I have a fine cloth over my filter which I clean often to stop fry from swimming up it and that will stop any silica from going into the filter, hopefully

Just make sure current is not directed downwards. Plants with good root systems would help stabilise wthe sediment.

Could you recomend any plants to me? I havent had much chance to experiment with plants as my old oscar used to make it almost impossible

I would not recommend plants with silica sand as it gets dirty and you have to stir it up to keep it clean looking. I washed mine thorougly to get rid of the lighter particles and what is left poses no problems. At $5 for 20kg bag minus 30% after washing it is pretty inexpensive.

I would not recommend plants with silica sand as it gets dirty and you have to stir it up to keep it clean looking. I washed mine thorougly to get rid of the lighter particles and what is left poses no problems. At $5 for 20kg bag minus 30% after washing it is pretty inexpensive.

various fish will take care of that for you, such as corys, geophagus, several loaches, etc...

I removed my Gravel with a large sieve, once the sediment had settled a few hours later I did a 50% water change and sucked up all the crap that had settled on the bottom of the tank.

Next day I washed my Silica Sand in a bucket swirling it round with my hand in teh bucket while the water was running over it, kept doing this untill the water ran clearish.

Then used a small bowl to scoop the sand out of the bucket and carefully lower the samll bowl into the tank, slowly let the sand fall onto the bottom of the tank, level out once finished placing sand.

This method worked great for me :thup:

I have plants in my Silica Sand tank and they seem to grow very well, I have Cyperus helferi, these are now my favourite plants, they have nice height and sway nicely in the current of the water, they are also a really nice bright green.

Good Luck :wink:

Ur method sounds almost bulletproof lyndy!

And I looked up those plants u use and they do look good be ideal for my fry to swim inbtween. My jags have started to get used to me puting my hands in the tank so I think this weekend will be a good time to start the remodeling

• 3 weeks later...