White onion skin like stuff on plants

Belgianbiscuit

Hi,

I am cycling my tank. I have no fish yet.

I have about a dozen plants and now I noticed that

there is white stuff which looks a lot like onion skin

hanging of every plant. My tank has been running

with filter and heater since Sunday.

Yesterday I did a 20% water change and I did not notice

anything then.

Any ideas?

BTW, how are you cycling your tank? If you didn't add any ammonia, you might be able to put in a goldfish to eat up all of this algae for you ....though you'll have to watch it carefully in case it takes to your plants once it polishes off the algae.

Haven't added anything other than filtration and plants. Just tap water but pH is ok.

Was going to buy a few neons today to help with the cycling but then I noticed the problem and thought it would be silly to add neons.

I don't wanna be stuck with a goldfish :-)

Not sure if it is related,

I also noticed a bit of white on my piece of driftwood. This looks more like salt.

I got the piece from Himitangi. I ringed it thoroughly and even put it through a cycle in dishwasher.

Without soap that is ;-)

Thanks Phoenix may have to take you up on the offer

White filamentous (hair) algae?

Looks like this ? http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... 1217428085

Looks more like a sheet than a filiment to my eye. :dunno:

Agree with Blueether that it looks just like dry biofilm... Maybe some sort of coating on the pipework that is coming away, after having softened in the water for a while? a filter sock (read:pantyhose) on the output would soon let you know...

Whatever it is, I doubt that it would be too harmful, but just scoop out all that you can, do a few W/C, stiring up the stuff...

Scoop Change Combo! YAAAY... :thup: :slfg:

Just a suggestion to read up on cycling. Whether fishless or with fish, you have to add something to the tank in order for it to cycle.

Hmmm, when I came back here I thought I read other posts of yours, do you have other tanks????

Keep us posted on the white "stuff".

Take care,

Caper :P

I brushed it off a second time last night and this morning it was pretty much all gone.

I don't think algae would disappear like that? Will be interesting to see what it is like when I get home tonight.

Caper, yes I have a post open about cycling and was about to throw some fish in my tank when I noticed the white stuff.

Sophia, My driftwood does not look as scary as the one in your picture ;-)

While it was still soaking outside, That weird algae was growing on my large piece of driftwood from the beach, along with some mossy green algae. I gave the wood a brush down with an old toothbrush, did a 100% water change, and never saw it again.

Then I moved it inside and :smot: flooded the lounge. :oops: