Stocking Rates

BK

Just question at the moment. photos on this site make me want one. Currently have AR980 220 ltr set up as a bear bottom Discus tank, once they reach full size well move them in to breeding tanks and display tank so this tank would be spear. What/how much cound I put in this. Would like Clown fish and corals. Maybe a couple more fish but mainly corals. Is there a limit to what can be stocked or does it come down to filtration and water quality,verse surface area of water.

Can always add extra filter and have been told by serval people at LFS that with high intensitiy tubes ligthing would be ok. Heigth is about 500mm from bottom to ligths. If no good can build tank just more hassel and like to use all in one tanks for display as a bit of over kill for breeding tank. Good tanks for freash water and I'm lukey to get them at wholesale rates.

If you end up doing a Reef system you will want to go for the hallides and decent filtration.

If you dont start with this you will kick yourself afterwards.

Trust me, I did!!

And with a 220 Litre system, once again you will kick yourself!

I have started with 300 odd litres and need more!

:roll:

one halide per 2 foot. 3-4' tank with serious sps get 250W double ended or 400W bulbs. most seem to be moving away from 10k's (yellow) to 14-20k's (more blue/white). 150W will probably be fine for that size (depending on tank depth), but easier to buy better now than find you need to upgrade later.

Hi Bk

After being warned by people that a three foot tank is too small i went ahead anyway (im a stubben SOB and that was all the room i had) now i am looking at a five foot tank after we shift into our own home. Listen to the addvise and go as big as you can. The other thing to consider is get the tank drilled while it is being made so you can hook up a sump, refuguim, closed loops and any other bits you may want. And if you can DIY is always a great way to go with things like stands and many other things that just add to the cost.

Dave

I think a new house is the go as I'm full of tanks already and building a tank room in sleepout. Would like to move my couch out a 1-1/2' and put 10' tank behind it with sump in corner hiden by 3' Discus tank. This and I still want to breed Parrots and I don't think the neighbour would be to keen on 1/2 dozen Galahs and A Grey's ou the back yard , I need a farm.

I'm a 3month new to the salt game after years of fresh and purchased a purpose built tank. I wanted a hood, like a fresh tank so I went with T5's, sump etc - 4ft 300l.

At this early stage I'm rather pleased everthing is going good and I love the fish colours and shrimps etc.

I plan to keep soft stuff and fish.

currently have 2 x clowns, blue tang, stark damsel and the coolest box shrimp. Plan on adding 2 x small fish and somthing a little bigger in the onths to come.

Watch the bank though as I have blown my budget and could have bought a reasonable car for the cost. A boy racer might have got coool wheels, drain pipe exsaust, bang bang sounds, rather large rear wing and a few stickers.

Rather my fish

I plan to keep soft stuff and fish

Lighting not as important then.

Watch the bank though as I have blown my budget and could have bought a reasonable car for the cost. A boy racer might have got coool wheels, drain pipe exsaust, bang bang sounds, rather large rear wing and a few stickers.

I could have had a deposit on another house :-?