Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

1 filter or 2?

Featured Replies

Just got a new tank (5'x2'x2') and was wondering if anbody has any thoughts regarding setups of filters.

The end result is I think going to be a "community" tank for my two silver sharks and maybe some large tank mates in the future, and many (possibly 60-100) smaller fish like my Harliquins, Gold barbs. Maybe some neons, rummys etc.... And dont forget PLANTS. Planning on having no plastic plants. This is some way off but would be glad to hear you opinions re: filtration.

Being a diver, the concept of redundancy is appealing. But I am also wondering about things such as circulation/ water movement. How much is needed? Do i need to consider "dead spots". Have good experinces with a particular brand of filters so would probably stick to the brand i like. Looking more for info on setups rather than "brands"

Cheers :D

Diver John

I run two cannister filters, IMHO there are so many plus, that if you can afford to you would be mad not to.

Redundancy,

Can be cleaned one at a time, to save bacteria

1 can be moved to second tank if needed

Water movement depends on your setup, for a tank that size I think it would be very unlikely it would be a problem of too much, if it is just direct the filter output at the back corner.

I'd run 2 canister filters as well, although I'd probably be more inclined to run them so they're operating the same way; i.e the water flow would all be one-direction...

And I'm not just saying that to be contrary, I just like the idea of one current, it's more like a river-type situation then! :)

For what its worth I run mine end to end as per Aqua, my thinking was that if I ran one each end the water in the middle of the tank MIGHT not make it to the filter.

I think a single cannister filter for a tank this size would have to be one of the bigger ones. I don't think it would cost much more to put in two smaller. i.e. two fluval 204's cost about the same as one fluval 404's

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.