Any native experts about? (Re: Koura)

Hdoubleu

Hi there,

My class is doing an inquiry into the stream behind our school. They started with a question "Is it easier to catch Koura (crawlies) in town or in the country?" and from there have a few other question about where Koura come from and how they got into our stream and the purpose of them. I am wondering if there are any 'experts' (as we have decided we need to ask an expert) that would answer some questions on this topic for me. All it would require is answering an email or two from some kids or skyping and we would be forever grateful.

Please let me know if you can help :)

Hi,, firstly, try posting in the native section as you will get a faster reply.

Stella would be the one you want to get in contact with. She is our resident Natives expert and has even written a book which may be of interest to your class. Maybe pm her.

Ditto, Stella would be best :D

What a cool area to focus on! I wish we'd done things like that at school. Perhaps at the end you could look at if there's anything that could be done to improve the koura habitat in the school stream, like planting some seedlings alongside it if the banks have been cleared?

.......hello :oops:

Am travelling around at the moment and somewhat sporadically online. Am happy to help where I can but I recommend you ask things on here so others can answer also.

Koura are fascinating animals and would make a really good classroom pet. Have a search through the archives here, a lot has beeen said about the housing and care of them.

:)

They'd be brilliant in a class :D

Mine are really friendly, spend lots of time out and about and all come running when they smell food. Fascinating watching the way they eat, with all their legs probbing for bits and their hands picking them up.

We see them in the river where there's a fair bit of current so I wouldn't think that's it. Do they have hidey holes scattered around they can dart into when they're out and about?

We've got two girls we've had for ages who walk around all day and aren't scared by a thing, but the newest one only sneaks out to grab bits at feeding time, shoots back into his house if you move. Sure he comes out when no ones watching though lol.

Dinner time, they're all waiting for the smelts to drop the food down. Big new koura in the front and little girl koura at the back, once the big guy gets some he'll run away and hide with it and the other two will sit out there and eat.

529948_460829757264482_100000123867401_2047298_16240023_n.jpg

am I the only koura keeper that never sees them?

I find there is a lot of variation in crayfish temperament, some are really bold, others adventurous, hell-bent on escape, timid, secretive, aggressive, or invisible.