LED Lights - 50hz vs 60hz... problem?

hovmoller

I'm thinking of getting some Marineland Double Bright LED lights for both my future marine tank and my freshwater tank...

Double brights for the freshwater and the "Reef capable" ones for the marine.

I am aware that these are not the best LED's on the market but this is a cost driven decision.

My question is:

The power adapters for these lights will accept 100-240V, so that part is ok but the US has 60hz power and we have 50hz.. I don't really know what this means but wondering if this would cause any problems?

Anyone have experience (or knowledge) about this?

Cheers!

the frequency is determined by how the power is created really.

50hz, 50 cycles per second between +230 and -230 V. 60hz, same thing but more often.

not to sure about led, may effect the transformer in the unit, more than likely in a bad way. but not to sure, never tried it.

you may be lucky and its 50/60hz rated? most things that are 100-240v rated are also 50/60hz rated. you will have to check the name plate on the adaptor.

I'm thinking of getting some Marineland Double Bright LED lights for both my future marine tank and my freshwater tank...

Double brights for the freshwater and the "Reef capable" ones for the marine.

I am aware that these are not the best LED's on the market but this is a cost driven decision.

My question is:

The power adapters for these lights will accept 100-240V, so that part is ok but the US has 60hz power and we have 50hz.. I don't really know what this means but wondering if this would cause any problems?

Anyone have experience (or knowledge) about this?

Cheers!

Frequency is, most likely, irrelevant. But the specs on the adapter probably also say 50/60 or 50-60 hz. It's probably using an electronic transformer to convert the power to the 3-6ish volt DC the LEDs would use anyway.

50 Hertz is the frequency/cycle at which the generating grid supplies your electricity at.

Concerning lighting the only true accurate way of knowing the all important colour spectrum you LED's are displaying is to find out from the suppliers two ratings

1 PAR rating Photosynthetic Active Range

2 PUR rating the more important rating but cannot be fully understood without the PAR rating. Photosynthetic Usable Range

This can get quite complex,basically the predominant spectrum colors should be in the blue range.

Reds are somewhat of a debating point, red can slow down the growth of some corals and also is very quickly lost when striking water. Pointless in my humble opinion of having red led's in a marine aquarium, a waste of money.

Colors such as yellow and green are best used in Disco's not in aquariums, they encourage cynobacter and green algae; not shall we say best liked by aquarists.

To be truthful working out your lighting by watts per litre is not accurate at all and should be subscribed to history when all lighting was the same or similar in type.

Questions to be asked

standard led ?

HO high output led?

VHO very high output led?

The main issue with led units is the control unit quality. They are now in demand and rightly so and the quality is ever increasing. making reasonable savings on the old mainstream Halides. The halides served us well but they are no longer the best option.

LEDs use less power to light ratio

LEDs last way beyond the life span of a Halide

LEDs offer less heat

LEDs spectrum range can be calibrated

Should you want to research and re assure yourself on this much debated subject I would like to suggest you go online. My humble opinion any serious aquarist should research lighting as one of the key issues in maintaining a healthy reef tank. One component, but if you get it wrong not only will your reef inhabitants suffer but so will you, visually and in the pocket.

Sorry to ramble on I am reacting to the words " will it affect" and set off.

Hope I helped a little bit

OOps sorry forgot to mention 50 Hertz at 240v different light output to 60HZ at 110v yes, but not enough to worry about or that you would notice. :sage:

Kelvin rating also, this is also and indication of spectral colour and intensity.

This is usually more readily available.

Use this with the PAR, PUR and you are then well clued up.

By the way not always is price the issue over quality, but research and get the best you can afford. Make haste slowly and if you have to wait them wait.

Research and know your tech gear and how it functions within your reef system :sage: