Red sev X gold sev

Fruju

I have a mint red sev male and I'm tempted to breed it but red sev females are somewhat difficult to locate, if I cross it with a gold one can I expect good results in terms of red colour developing or will the gold wash it out?

Could be a bit varied, I'm fairly certain the reds have been selectively bred from golds so you'd essentially just be undoing some of the line breeding. If you're going to do it I think you'd want to grow the young out to a good size to see what they're like and would probably want to be prepared to do some serious culling if needed (I'm sure Henward would help! :P). Could always try crossing the reddest of the fry back with the red male to try improve the colour.

It already has some substantial red in it, yes would have to see how they mature and potentially cross back, but was wondering if since the female would be gold would that reduce large proportion of the red? Also keen on starting to breed midas. Would like a jag as well.

while resultant fry may be visually red it doesn't necessarily mean that they will pass it on to the next generation

Yep, based on simple Mendelian Genetics the F1 of a cross are often consistant but some will carry recessive genes and others won't, so two F1 crossed together will produce a varied batch of fry.

It might just be best to carry on searching for a red female, especially if you don't have space to grow out the fry and/or experiment with crossing back. Even having more than one red male to cross back to would help as it would provide a bit more genetic diversity.

shame, this red fraser has is SPECTACULAR

i mean, it is extremely red, borderline not even spots but almost solid lines that its so red.

shame - if there was a fem there somewhere, breeding them in high scale would be awesome.... i would love 1 or 2!

SPECTACULAR!!!

Jack should be able to sort you out with a female for your midas, might even be able to get an interesting coloured one. It would be interesting to see how varied the red colour was in the offspring if you crossed two red sevs together.

because you might as well.

because SPECTACULAR!

If you've got the space to play then cross the other male with a gold female, grow out the fry and pick the reddest female to breed with your SPECTACULAR male.

The results could be .......

:slfg: :slfg: :slfg:

Wonder what sort of mix I would get from a rotkiel sev?

Would depend on how the dominant/resessive genes work, could end up with an extra-red rotkeil, could end up with something muddy, especially if the "rotkeil" already has some gold genes in it. Would most likely require a lot of line breeding and crossing to fix a solid strain, crossing to a gold then back to red would be far easier.

because it is a selectively bred gold.

you can cross a gold female twih the red male.

then cross the most red female back to the male.

then so on and so on, see what you can come up with.

need tank numbers though.

the more tanks you got, the faster the project can progress.