is a thermostat a must?

reuben.a

i dont get it? once warmed up ... if staying at appropriate temps then you ought to have a thermostat to keep the heat source turned off in turn saving power?

my basking bulbs, with thermostat, use to be on less than 50% of the time. thermostats and basking bulbs off at night.

Yeap once the lights go on in the morning it gets up to appropriate temps (cool ambient, hot ambient and basking spot surface) and never goes higher. I tested this for weeks to be sure.

Any hotter (higher wattage) bulbs make everything out of wack and even with a thermostat the basking spot then gets too hotter surface temp.

My point is that it is possible not to have to use one.

i never used thermostats for the first couple of years keeping lizards. use to choose bulb with appropriate wattage to get desired temp around mid day. was not fail safe though and got sick of checking temps all the time. now prefer to use thermostats as much easier to get desired temp and consistently year round. .

also wonder if reptiles see it as a more natural heat source too. like the sun goes behind clouds than back again and so on much like when using a thermostat.

i never used thermostats for the first couple of years keeping lizards. use to choose bulb with appropriate wattage to get desired temp around mid day. was not fail safe though and got sick of checking temps all the time. now prefer to use thermostats as much easier to get desired temp and consistently year round. .

also wonder if reptiles see it as a more natural heat source too. like the sun goes behind clouds than back again and so on much like when using a thermostat.

Not sure they very well do lol.

My thermostats have their own power feeds with displays, so probably end up using a lot more power than the normal one that is used here in NZ.

Although its an awesome controller. I should start buying and selling them built up ;P.

Out of interest does anyone on here know where you can get Arcadia uv tubes in NZ or shipped to NZ? They're supposed to be fantastic.

Not sure they very well do lol.

My thermostats have their own power feeds with displays, so probably end up using a lot more power than the normal one that is used here in NZ.

Although its an awesome controller. I should start buying and selling them built up ;P.

Out of interest does anyone on here know where you can get Arcadia uv tubes in NZ or shipped to NZ? They're supposed to be fantastic.

exoterra ones better than arcadia. Petware is the wholesaler for both, so you can order through your local pet shop.

I just don't get the thermostat thing. Only time you would use one is if your tank is too small?

5 foot tank. Basking spot of 37-45 Celsius down one end. Then the dragon chooses when to bask and when to go down the cool end.

I have used thermostats and I can't see the point if your set up is correct. If your tank is over heating then the ventilation or size of tank or bulb wattage is wrong.

Maybe there is an advantage to them in terms of reducing temp for brumation.

The other thing is that if you really want your dragon to have the best possible home then you would be using merc vapour bulbs and/or an outdoor cage, and you can't use a thermostat for merc vapours.

Ever had your beardie outside, enjoying the sun...then something blocks the sun....they freak out. Natural response to possible bird predator blocking the sun....wouldn't a thermostat flicking the light on and off be the same?

Natural seasonal variation in ambient temp is good, not bad....dragons use these cues for brumation/breeding, so why would you try to regulate everything....

I am sure I am missing something here, are you in the hobby for the 'gismo' aspect maybe FaceAnthrax?

i am only using a low wattage bulb so the temperatures wouldnt get to high but would still get high enough withought a thermostat. and the lizard will go into an outdoor enclosure in a year or so anyway so the enclosure should be fine but if i really need a bigger one thatl be an excuse for making my dream indoor enclosure :lol:

Ever had your beardie outside, enjoying the sun...then something blocks the sun....they freak out. Natural response to possible bird predator blocking the sun....wouldn't a thermostat flicking the light on and off be the same?

yeah they get use to it, ones i have put outside in the past normally do that when i walk past. but they soon get over it. never seen the same reaction with just the light going on though ... it aint mood lighting ... or is it

Natural seasonal variation in ambient temp is good, not bad....dragons use these cues for brumation/breeding, so why would you try to regulate everything....

I am sure I am missing something here, are you in the hobby for the 'gismo' aspect maybe FaceAnthrax?

Not sure there is a gismo aspect at all? I have a few hobbies, those of which also include electronics (building circuits etc).

Was interested in the arcadias cos you can get 12% UVB ones supposed to be great for your dragon and good for colouration.

Small enclosures i think thermostats serve a purpose.

Larger/proper enclosure mercury vapour sound good. Then again one i got from varanophilein in the past blew within a few hours of turning on :roll:

My indoor enclosures were more holding tanks. 1550x600x400 and 1200x600x450 units. Generally one animal per etc and yeah probably a bit small hence i found thermostats good. Use to put lizards outside on good days, some times weeks at a time over summer/until it rained.

Planned to make big outdoor enclosures, but plans change and i moved the animals on.

Think you will find you get a better temp gradient, even in five foot enclosure, with thermostat and bulb over rock or tiles etc. Less ambient temp. I did anyway.

Other thing with multiple enclosures, like i had, is the whole room heats up rather quickly. Hence had small bulbs on thermostats, minimal on time to save demand on aircon. Without aircon room got up to 30+ in summer.

Outdoors much easier :facepalm:

Small enclosures i think thermostats serve a purpose.

Larger/proper enclosure mercury vapour sound good. Then again one i got from varanophilein in the past blew within a few hours of turning on :roll:

My indoor enclosures were more holding tanks. 1550x600x400 and 1200x600x450 units. Generally one animal per etc and yeah probably a bit small hence i found thermostats good. Use to put lizards outside on good days, some times weeks at a time over summer/until it rained.

Planned to make big outdoor enclosures, but plans change and i moved the animals on.

Think you will find you get a better temp gradient, even in five foot enclosure, with thermostat and bulb over rock or tiles etc. Less ambient temp. I did anyway.

Other thing with multiple enclosures, like i had, is the whole room heats up rather quickly. Hence had small bulbs on thermostats, minimal on time to save demand on aircon. Without aircon room got up to 30+ in summer.

Outdoors much easier :facepalm:

did I replace your bulb? I did for other people. Cost me a packet, good ol' 'Ultimate Reptile Supplies' in Oz did me a deal....pity the bulbs were crap. In hind sight you are lucky it blew, my dragons died of leukemia as a result of those bulbs.

did I replace your bulb? I did for other people. Cost me a packet, good ol' 'Ultimate Reptile Supplies' in Oz did me a deal....pity the bulbs were crap. In hind sight you are lucky it blew, my dragons died of leukemia as a result of those bulbs.

na you must have forgotten. and how to tell the sex of the frogs & bds. was a super deal that one. :sml2:

na you must have forgotten. and how to tell the sex of the frogs & bds. was a super deal that one. :sml2:

I always act in good faith- whether it's gear or livestock, I'm sorry if you have an issue- communication may not be your strongest point I have heard.

You seem a little confused buddy....got any 'super deals' on 'guaranteed splits'?

There is someone selling some on trade me at he mo, maybe have a look at how to write an honest ad........or ask a professor on how to do it, lol :thup:

iv just finished building a rockwall and hides for my enclosure that will house a water dragon and im buying everything i need atm. do you need a thermostat for a basking bulb or without one will the temperatures in the enclosure get to high?

first up,what size enclosure? if 12hundy or 4 foot?(miniumum for hatchling to yearling)!!! throw away the heat mat,throw away the thermostat for tauranga. start with 60 watt light bulb.and fluro for u.v..... angle a basking branch/log so maby 150mm ish from the bulb to hot spot vertical (high point).angle branch/log down to bottom of enclosure. have fluro u.v maby 150ish away from the hot spot horizontialy and 150mm ish from the branch/log vertical..(e.m.f can mess with them) but hang fluro horizontal so w,dragon can find its u.v HAPPY PLACE.depending on tube u.v rating(they also seem to move from heat to u.v depending on feeding e.c.t) give them at least 8 hours a day.(8 hours artifical =2 hours natural,MINIUM REQUIREMENT.. dont forget well filtered water ( appease your techno streak with good bio filteration).if not , change daily!!!!! if w,dragon not eating try an 80 watt and up e.c.t. no night heat unless under 1 deg at night inside constant. for winter! if so either turn everything off so they can hibernate or use thermostat to maintain at least 5 deg constant night ish...good for lifespan,fertility e.c.t this info only good for hatchling to yearling waterdragons only. if they arnt outside by second summer, dont get one!!! and thats a minuimum 2m cube for outside!!..this is basic info only. dagnamit! i can see a waterdragon care sheet on the horizon. :facepalm: p.s excuse spelling :yaw1: :facepalm: