Best food blue tang ?

Duke

Stick with nori/ spirilina, they need a lot of green food in their diet to look their best. Mine is about 8" and eats about 1/4 of a sheet of nori a day, along with some brine shrimp.

I stay away from flake foods (other than spirilina), stick to frozen mysis brine shrimp.

Layton

Surprised the clowns are outcompeting the Tang. How about feeding meaty type foods first, and then the nori, once the clowns have had a feed they will not be interested much in the nori so the Tang can chow down.

Mysis are OK, but brine shrimp are very nutrient poor and should only be an occasional treat, if at all. If feeding mysis, pay to wash it first in RO water, it is a very messy food.

Personally I think a quality flake food can be a good thing. Another good one is mussel, you get some live ones, boil just enough to open, chop up, and serve. Can be frozen. Very nutritious and the fish love it.

When I can get a rock with a bit of hair algae or similar on it, I put it in the tank for the tang (when I had one), they like to pick at it.

There's a catch - If there is hair algae in the tank, the tang will soon tire of it & not eat it. But put some in when he hasn't had any for a while, and he will enjoy it, but only a small amount.

I suspect hair algae manufactures something to deter fish from eating it.

What you people all doing up this time of night? Haven't got beds to go to? :lol: