Planting Hungarian Yellow (wax) chilli seeds

Anyone know when the best season to plant chilli seeds in NZ is? A few NZ based websites comment on temperature but not season and a few of the USA based sites say Spring, which makes sense but would be Autumn here. I gather they will germinate in any time of year but not produce their fruit until Spring/Summer? Any ideas and suggests would be great. TA

Hungarians are pretty hardy chillies. I tend to get all my chillie varieties started in-doors in about August and then they go out side late October. Seedlings will do well under 8500K T8 lights for about 6 weeks. Sometimes August can be hard to do, especially if you have a cold house. I'v had mixed results with raising on a window sill but it can be done with more hardy varieties. They love early light and after about 8 weeks, repot to about a 10cm pot and put a heatpad under them. Makes them go nuts.

I should add, the main fruiting season if you're not in a glass house is late December, as long as your Hungarian has 30 or 40 leaves by then you'll generally get a good little crop. If you plant them in the ground in a sheltered but sunny spot, you'll get HEAPS.

One of my favourite eaters and nice and easy to grow.

Hungarians are pretty hardy chillies. I tend to get all my chillie varieties started in-doors in about August and then they go out side late October. Seedlings will do well under 8500K T8 lights for about 6 weeks. Sometimes August can be hard to do, especially if you have a cold house. I'v had mixed results with raising on a window sill but it can be done with more hardy varieties. They love early light and after about 8 weeks, repot to about a 10cm pot and put a heatpad under them. Makes them go nuts.

I should add, the main fruiting season if you're not in a glass house is late December, as long as your Hungarian has 30 or 40 leaves by then you'll generally get a good little crop. If you plant them in the ground in a sheltered but sunny spot, you'll get HEAPS.

WOW thanks man, will have ago tonight and plant a few and see how it goes. Thanks again. My "mother plant" is still producing and has new flower buds every week.

Those times sound about like what I've read, but nothing like what they ended up for me. I've been starting them about august, it was still a bit cold for them outside around November, fruiting february or march. The couple I have now are just starting to turn red now. Haven't had much luck at all with them here.:(

Is that with Hungarian Chillies Ira?

Chillies can be temperamental little blighters. Lots of things can affect their development.

If you can tell me who/what/when/where/how you are growing them I might be able to help a little.

All I've tried have been roughly similar for timeframes. Let's see which I can remember, hungarians, jalapenos, bhut jolokia, a couple different habaneros, a couple different bell peppers, cayenne, serranos, fogo. This year was completely useless, year before was pretty useless, but before that was ok, I had a lot more peppers though mostly green by the time I picked them still.

I think where I am is just a bit too cool and not enough sun.

Last year I grew about 20 plants in a raised bed, I got about 2 rubbish bags full late January :) It can be done!

Chillies are very hard to grow in pots outside. They are also very susceptible to aphids and disease when they are in pots. Even a chillie plant in a bad spot will do much better in the ground than a pot in a good spot. I'm looking at a Serrano out my window right now, even in this temp, it's totally green and has tons of fruit on it. It was a late bloomer as I had to repot it quite a bit after I would have liked. I think it is in plain old Tui Vege mix. Mushroom compost is really good for Jalapenos especially I've found. Chillies also like things slightly acidic.

Last year I grew about 20 plants in a raised bed, I got about 2 rubbish bags full late January :) It can be done!

Chillies are very hard to grow in pots outside. They are also very susceptible to aphids and disease when they are in pots. Even a chillie plant in a bad spot will do much better in the ground than a pot in a good spot. I'm looking at a Serrano out my window right now, even in this temp, it's totally green and has tons of fruit on it. It was a late bloomer as I had to repot it quite a bit after I would have liked. I think it is in plain old Tui Vege mix. Mushroom compost is really good for Jalapenos especially I've found. Chillies also like things slightly acidic.

Christchurch is a lot hotter and sunnier than here.

Yeah had thought of that, once germinated they will go to my warm fish room, where they will be put into a fish tank, empty of course +/- the use of a fish tank light. Trial and error :D

That might work. I had some of mine under a 150w metal halide. I'm not sure it was enough light for them, though.

Riiiiggghtttt... would like some of my taste buds intact after eating them, thank you very much :-?

I'f you're not into blow your face off hot curries then the chillie you use won't make too much difference. Until you can handle the hotter ones the flavour gets quite lost in all the heat. I've made curries with jalapenos and they've been all good. I'm sure some cooks would slap me for doing so!

Just make sure you fry up all your spices, cumin, paprika, garam masla etc until aromatic if you are making it from scratch. I usually do it in butter but you have to be careful not to burn the butter itself. If you want to try the real deal make some of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee Remember, although we think of curries as an Indian thing, a lot of them come from or have been developed in England so plain old cream and butter are usually used. All this talk is making me hungry!

Yeah had thought of that, once germinated they will go to my warm fish room, where they will be put into a fish tank, empty of course +/- the use of a fish tank light. Trial and error :D

That's the way! I've read of people putting them under a couple of power saver 8500K lights and producing fruit!? I'll be testing this out towards the end of June.

Just have to keep that temp above 17C and they do okay. Harder to grow varieties like Habanero/Scotch Bonet etc I've found to be hopeless at early starts and indoor growth. Although, I have seen a heatpad and a http://www.ledgrowlightsoutlet.com/90-w-ufo-led-grow-lights.html combine to make a pretty good launch-pad for them.