Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Got a tank, what now? :-)

Featured Replies

Hi,

I haven't posted on forum for a while as I was still looking for tank. I now found one that suits me

and I am ready to start preparation.

My tank is about 1200 x 450 x380. (205 liters)

Initially I was thinking to build an internal filter compartment on the left hand side. Something similar to this http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/articles/internal-filter.png

Now the tank came with an internal filter aquarworld 1200 and am now wondering if I should go with internal filter or use the aquar world one? Or maybe I can built the internal filter compartment and part of the aquarworld 1200. http://www.theaquariumcompany.com.au/pages/products/product/1200-aquarworld-internal-filter-sd/

What would be the best option? Or should I look at a different option all together such as an external filter that I can hide in the stand?

Other than that I want to make my 3D background. I started building one a while ago and followed instructions I found on Google.

Can I put this in when I am ready and start filtration/cycling process or would I do this in different stages i.e have the background in the water for a long period of time before I start filtering so I ensure no cement comes off?

Any other tips welcome :-)

I'd definitely go for an External, obviously it doesn't take up roon in your tank that you can use for extra fish.

They are easy to clean, offer good flow rate for your water too.

You should be able to pop your background in before you fill the tank.

Has it been sealed??

  • Author

Thanks,

I may investigate eternal filter. Any recommendations in regards to brand etc? Are they actually noisy?

You mean sealed the background? No just mix cement with water and brushed it on. Needs more layers as I can still see foam here and there. So what should I seal it with? And I assume that would be done last and not before cement goes on?

Cheers

Have a look on trademe for a used eheim external filter.

They are super good and super quiet... much better than a big internal thing taking up space and awkward to clean.

Agree that you should seal the concrete as a final step on your background.. not sure with what though but concrete can leach some nasty stuff into your tank... and make your water very hard and alkaline. Not good for most fish.

Definitely recommend the Aqua One CF 1200, usually work out how big your filter needs to be by the amount of Ltrs in your tank, turned over at least 5 times, so if your tank is 200 ltrs x by 5 = 1000lph.

I run a CF1200 external plus and 1000lph internal on my Malawai Tank, I use the internal for filteration plus water circulation.

There are some good photo threads on making tank backgrounds if you have a search, or have a scroll through DIY as that is where I think most of them are :smln:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.