Fishies recommened-please????

Caper

Hi All!

Found measuring tape Caryl :thup:

Dimensions: 30" long; 19" tall; 12" wide - this is the tank in the "set up tank questions" I previously posted.

Presently: only 4 red wag platies.

pH - approximate 7.6 (highest the test kit will read) - but did have it tested a lfs and will again to see what reading they get (I forget what they got before but I DO remember he said it was high)

I do not keep real plants, yah I know me bad :facepalm:

Any suggestions on other fishies I can put in.

Previously didn't have a lfs locally so there is a bit more to choose from, but with that said I know I'm limited with tank size and still on the fence about the pH. (see other post when lfs said red eye tetras wouldn't survive in my pH but have had them for a few years now).

Take care,

Caper :D

You should start with fish that are esy to care for. Fancy guppies would be a good start if you want something colourful, or you could try some of the various danio species we have available in New Zealand. Emerald-eye rasboras are good if you want something a little different :D

Now, that this tank is started I'll have to take a good look to see what fish the lfs has!

Joe, I would like "colourful" for sure, says she who purchased 4 red wag platties, duh :facepalm: But, yes I was thinking of guppies. I don't know if they have rasboras.

Way back when, I think I asked if I could have an all male tank and I think I was told yes. So, the 4 platties are males. No fry for me Caryl unless it's something in a frying pan! Egg bearers, as least I don't see the eggs!

I will ask here lots. When I got the red eye tetras, I had to get another tank because I had guppies and discovered they were fin nipping!

Thanks all :hail::hail:

Caper

Woops didn't realise you were in Canada :facepalm:

There will be tonnes of stuff available there, and for a fraction of the price of stuff in NZ. Go crazy :thup:

May I ask why did you join an NZ forum instead of a Canadian forum or another American forum?

Geepers...forgot to click on submit AGAIN! :facepalm: :facepalm:

Not tons of fish where I live Joe. Only 1 pet store with fish, but more variety than I've seen here ever! It must be open 3 years now (another did open not long after but it closed recently :( ).

When I first started, the pet store that had fish (closed) didn't offer enough information in my opinion. The only other place with fish was WalMart (they don't have fish anymore). Therefore, I started browsing the net. Didn't know what a forum was :dunno: Just happened to find this site and as they say, rest is history! Due to some life "issues" haven't been here in ages...but great to be back. I just never thought to look for a Canadian forum...maybe someday!

Take care,

Caper :D

Thanks Ira!

I just did a google on dwarf cockatoo cichlids. Just did a fast read and does appear that they can go in a community tank (I didn't mean that you wouldn't have known that, duh). I have to check to see if the store has them. If they do (taking a run out today), I'll be back with more questions and read up more on them...now don't everyone run and hide :o

JOE...see this is one of the reasons I love this place...everyone always so helpful, kind, and lots of experience! :thup: ...oh, and I always managed to get a good laugh and lots of smiles!

Caper

Apistos need either a biotope aquarium or a densely planted aquarium with lots of retreats and wood. They also need a natural substrate like sand or dark gravel. From your other thread it seems you are going for a tank setup with gaudy, colourful fish, little or no plants and some ornaments. IMO Apistos aren't a wise choice for your tank.

Maybe try gouramis is you want something colourful. Flame dwarfs would be ideal for you sort of setup, as long as there isn't too much flow as gouramis like still water.

Gaudy...huh Joe :(:(

Ira, I checked at the lfs and they don't have the dwarf cockatoo cichlids.

Thanks,

Caper :P

How about Kribensis? They're pretty colorful and relatively good community fish.

I've always wanted some but never gotten around to getting any.:(

Thanks Ira!

Although they didn't have any in today, I know they have had them. I never thought to ask if they'll be getting them again but will check.

I did ask if the plants in the tanks were for sale. But the young guy who waited on me, didn't have much information on them. I may ask another day. I thought I might get brave and just start with one plant to see how it goes. But with that said, do you always require a CO2 set up, not that I actually know what that is but I do see it in posts. Then the other issue, do you always need special lighting to have life plants???

Oh my gosh...another post lost!

Anyway...thanks Squirt!

I will go back another day to see what I can find out. Knowing that I don't have to have all that stuff, I may just give it a try!

How about Kribensis? They're pretty colorful and relatively good community fish.

I've always wanted some but never gotten around to getting any.:(

Kribs are a great idea. Very hardy too :)

They were my first cichlid and I had them in a tank with swordtails and platies when I first started keeping fish. They spawned a couple of times but I never got any fry off of them, but they were heaps of fun to watch :D

Yes, when I go back Caryl I'll see if I can get find out what plants they do have. Because when I asked the young man, he said they just come with the fish and we put them in the tank :dunno: I sure hope someone there will know what they have and I'll take it from there.

Joe, I did fast google on the kribs...but I thought they would be less suitable than the dwarf cockatoos???

Off to play with grandson...have a great Easter folks!

Thanks for the help...catch ya later :wave:

Caper

Kribs will be fine. BTW we're talking about the standard Pelvicachromis pulcher.

Kribs are suited for standard community setups. Apistogramma prefer loads of plants with natural wood and substrate, or a biotope aquarium with dead leaves, wood, and tannin-rich soft acidic water. They are easy to care for, but only if you are prepared to meet their needs. If you just chuck them in a standard community tank they are not going to thrive. Whereas P. pulcher are pretty much bomb-proof, and are a great beginner's fish as they don't really have special requirements except for a couple of retreats and decent water quality. Just make sure you get a good tank-bred strain though, because in America there might be wild strains for sale and they need to be treated just the same as Apistos.

Joe wrote:

Just make sure you get a good tank-bred strain

How would I even know?

I've been reading up on the kribs :cofn: (ok, I don't drink tea or coffee...but the reading part is right...hehe).

Just as I recall...not black and white :-? true fishy form!

Opinions/suggestions please:

- overall consensus good to put in a community tank

- varying opinions on what fish are suitable tankmates :-? (e.g. yes with guppies/no with guppies); one thing I haven't forgotten is combinations that work in one tank for whatever reason may not work in another. I think this is partly due to the fact that fish can't read on what there behavior is SUPPOSED to be :wink:

- at minimum best kept as a pair male/female

- some have success when keeping 2 males more so than 2 females

- always need caves

Thanks,

Fish are like humans, you get good and bad attitudes. Some kribs are fine and peaceful but sometimes you will get one or two that are really nasty. They get very territorial when breeding and you will know when they have started as they wil have all the other fish huddling at one end of the tank!

Thanks Caryl!

I guess that is one of the things I do remember fishy behaviour can be as unpredictable as human behaviour... :slfg:

But what about the idea of 2 males or 2 females versus 1 male and 1 female, is it recommended? The more I read about them I may not want them in this tank anyway since I am leaning towards having guppies.

Although, my other 29 gallon presently is home to 6 red eye tetras and 2 tiger barbs. I wonder about trying them in that tank???

I know from reading and past experience it is better to have a school of barbs. But I have not had luck with replacing the ones that went to fishy heaven. When I tried to replace them, the new ones were always small and didn't survive. The 8 get along fine and even the pet store was shocked . For quite sometime now, they are only getting small barbs in and I don't want to put them in with 2 adults I have for fear that is why they are not surviving!

How would I even know?

It would say on the lable on the tank if they were a wild strain :facepalm: The wild ones are a lot redder too from photos that I have seen. If it just said 'Kribensis' and they were just basic looking kribs, then you can be pretty sure that they will be standard tank-bred fish.