Share a picture of your Alto!

rcon021

I like seeing other peoples fish and love to see some Altos, I will go first and share some of mine. Please excuse the quality

Gold Heads

IMG_7120.jpg

IMG_7123.jpg

IMG_7124.jpg

Red Fins

These fish are still young have have some more growing to do. But looking really good, i have been told that the fins will get more red as they get older.

Sub dominant male

IMG_7178.jpg

Dominant male

IMG_7186.jpg

Getting ready to spawn

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

Lets go Nav!!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Z

I will get photos once back in shakey isles

um I did loose a lot in Dec 23 quake so will be limited to my red fin pair and my gold heads

um er Bloaters---20 years ago my colony of Dubs was wiped out in one foul weekend along with my thickskins.

Blaoters ever since...blardy things...waiting for replacements to arrive

Nice Z

I will get photos once back in shakey isles

um I did loose a lot in Dec 23 quake so will be limited to my red fin pair and my gold heads

um er Bloaters---20 years ago my colony of Dubs was wiped out in one foul weekend along with my thickskins.

Blaoters ever since...blardy things...waiting for replacements to arrive

Thanks Nav!!! Sorry for your loses man!!!

Very different looking comps but NICE Zeusterae

Had them long? Any breeding action?

Sorry to hear about your comps Nav.

I love bloaters

Thanks rcon021, They are Altolamprologus compressiceps gold head (from Eddie in waitakere), and they are brothers (I mean same parents)... I have them for 2 years now... and they haven't spawned yet, but recently one of them ("the one that I think that is female", second picture) has been really curious about the new Seashell that I bought for them... :spop:

P2260041.jpg

P2260040.jpg

P2260039.jpg

P2260038.jpg

P2260037.jpg

Cheers

I would agree with you about females spending time in/around shells. Males just tend to just swim around from structure to structure. When the female is ‘ripe’ the male will give more attention to the female. From the picture it doesn’t seem like the female is full of eggs yet, they tend to fill up really quickly from nothing to ‘ripe’ within 7-10 days – with the correct food.

My comps have spawned.

I would agree with you about females spending time in/around shells. Males just tend to just swim around from structure to structure. When the female is ‘ripe’ the male will give more attention to the female. From the picture it doesn’t seem like the female is full of eggs yet, they tend to fill up really quickly from nothing to ‘ripe’ within 7-10 days – with the correct food.

My comps have spawned.

Thanks for the info!!! yesterday I was looking the fish and I've noticed that the female was getting inside of the shell a lot and spend a lot of time next to it... I know that there is no eggs inside because other curious fish went inside of the shell and she didn't do anything about it... but when de male was closer to the area, she went to him and open all her fins to him like kick him out of the area :slfg: ... he didn't fight back, just did the same to her and finally he left..... I really hope that she decide to spawn... it would be my first experience with altos, then I am quite excited about it.... well, we will see what happens...

Congratulations for you fish btw!!! they look awesome!!! :hail:

The altos act alot different when they are about to spawn. They mellow out alot and are not aggressive. Try and get different size shells so that they have a vreiety to choose from. They are picky when it comes to shells, if that doesn't work try using a pot.

Nice pics :) Already posted some pics of my calvus but here you go again.. They just laid another batch too, pretty stocked because I thought that I had nuked the female treated her for being egg bound.

DSC08149800x600.jpg

DSC08150800x600.jpg

DSC08062800x600.jpg

DSC08156800x600.jpg

DSC08175800x600.jpg

Also have fry at 3-4cm now looking quite cool..

Is it just me or does Zeusterae's fish look more like red fins than gold heads?

And yeah my calvus go for conch shells.