I've got little balls!

cracker

Hey Im not 100% sure of its effectiveness yet, although it seems to be working nicely along with other things.

I have recently removed a heap of trickle filter material also which would have helped with the nitrates.

Its called Clearmec plus from JBL and is not labled for either fresh or salt, but is an adsorbant that pulls:

nitrite

nitrate

phosphate

in decent amounts. Then you chuck away after a couple of months.

Carbon is not required as it clears the water even better than carbon!

Its awesome, but not proven completely yet, (Not by me anyway!).

$24.00 for 300 litres for 2 months. (Im running double dose).

CHEAP!

Exactly what Im thinking.

No harm in trying.

The only funny thing I am noticing is my skimmer is foaming,, but hardly pulling anything out.

I dont know whether the media is pulling it or whether something in the balls is flattening the water column or something.

The water is super clean though....

???

It looks to be made for freshwater. It says they use a combination of biological and chemical filtration.

Clay based surface for bacteria to grow, and then an ion absorbing resin to absorb nitrate, nitrite and ammonia.

Being targeted at freshwater, I don't know whether or not the resin would be effective.

The clay just acts like live rock in supporting denitrifying bacteria I suppose.

Not exactly expensive stuff though.

Layton

The only way to achieve "valid" results is to leave everything else as is. The fact that cracker removed about 10km's of plastic chain from his sump may have contributed to his reducing nitrates :D not saying that Clearmec plus does not work, it possibly just doesnt work as quick as we are seeing

To prove it one way or the other wouldn't you need to let it stablize, then remove your balls ( :o ) and see if the params go back up again?

Otherwise surely you have changed two things (removing filter media and adding balls) then used this as proof that one of them worked when fact the balls may have been doing nothing. (NB I'm not saying they don't work, just saying you need to test properly if you want to put this forward as proof)