Red Tops, Dem's and Electric Yellows

LYNDYLOO

Can anyone tell me what other algae eaters can I have in a tank of Red Top Ice Blue's, Electric Yellow's and Dem's.

I had 10 Golden Algae Eaters in there, to find I now only have 1 big Fella left :tears:

Obviously I put them in there to control any Algae that may arise in the tank, not as live fish food :an!gry

Can anyone tell me what other algae eaters can I have in a tank of Red Top Ice Blue's, Electric Yellow's and Dem's.

I had 10 Golden Algae Eaters in there, to find I now only have 1 big Fella left :tears:

Obviously I put them in there to control any Algae that may arise in the tank, not as live fish food :an!gry

I lost my two golden algae eaters the same way along with 5 GBA's that were around 4cm. My golden spot plec is in an african tank without drama, but he's a big boy and I always make sure I scape in a good hidey hole for him :D

Plecs and africans together is a toughy. Regardless of whether the plec survives the water conditions are not ideal and the addition of wood which the plec needs can drop PH. Hard to find a happy medium to keep all happy.

For algae, I use a inline UV lamp and regular water changes/cleaning. No dramas.

I have always used bristlenoses with no issues even with my big giraffes and other african cichlids, they used to breed in my big display tank and fry even used to survive.. I think it may all be in the introduction of them, if you just dump them in then they may get cracked until the fish realise they can't eat them, aclimitise them slowly and introduce them at night so they can find cover and have a better chance at survival.

I have seen golden algae eaters in with big africans as well, only issue was when the giraffes got big enough to eat the algae eaters..

I've got a couple of big Black Line Flying Foxes in there and they seem to be fine with the Africans.

Maybe the Algae Eaters I had were just to small, the Red Top Ice Blues have a descent size mouth so guess I've learnt my lesson as to what I can and cant put in with them, but on the other hand of that I have a couple of Otto's in with them and they're fine.

• 2 weeks later...