Help please to setup Co2 system on 430lt tank

karina

I am after some help as to what I need to setup a pressurised CO2 system on my 430 litre planted tank.

I can get 6.8kg Co2 bottles at BOC, but would like to know how long these may last on this tank?

What else do I need?

Anyone using items bought off TM that they can suggest?

Thanks

-K.

You will need a regulator, solenoid, needle valve, and some way to diffuse the CO2 into your tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UP-CO2-regulator-solenoid-magnetic-valve-control-/250881122073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a69ae1f19#ht_3120wt_754

That includes everything but the diffuser. I've got one on my system and it works great, but it is a cheap brand and I have heard of others with the same one having problems. You get what you pay for.

Those are universal voltage so are safe on our power supply. You will however need to buy an adaptor for an american plug. You can probably get diffusers from the same person on ebay, trademe, or make a reactor yourself.

I think you'll find a 6.8kg bottle will need filling rather a lot. I have a 30kg bottle on a 300L tank which lasts me approx 4 months.

Thanks for that. The benefit of going to hire the bottles enables me to upgrade if need be and I will certainly look at going bigger.

I knew doing the whole soda stream bottles thing would be a waste of time.

Anyone else have the same regulator that Atwan has?

Atwan - how long after you paid did it arrive?

my 3.5 kg bottle has been running since october and I expect to get another 3 months out of it yet. I would think you would get nothing less than 8 months out of a 6+ providing you have a solenoid regulator and no leaks in your lines.

I have a 5kg bottle on a 250L tank. I have been running the bottle on this tank for only a month so not sure how long it lasts yet. When I was running it on a 650L it would last just over a month, but that was pumping a lot of CO2 into the tank.

I know a few people that have used that same regulator and not had problems.

I'd say it took 1-2 weeks to get here.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Atwan and Allan - Seen as that regulator on ebay is a US plug is it safe to then put it into a plug apapter then into a NZ made timer? Have either of you done this with no problems?

The Co2 would be running 8 hours a day.

Perhaps you guys could put up some photo's of your setups so I can see how you have done it?

Thanks

My setup is pulled down at the moment. I have used the converter plugs with no problem for these and elements etc. I used a timer to turn the CO2 on about an hour before the lights and had it running for 12 hours. You need to start off quietly and work up to that with lights, CO2 and ferts.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Atwan and Allan - Seen as that regulator on ebay is a US plug is it safe to then put it into a plug apapter then into a NZ made timer? Have either of you done this with no problems?

Yes that's what I do and it works well.

I put a check valve in the CO2 line to stop water flowing back into the regulator when it's switched off. You should do this also.

I've never used a bubble counter as I can see the bubbles going into my diffuser

Thanks guys.

I have been looking at the diffusers and regulators that the person on ebay sells who you guys bought off. I can't make heads or tails about which diffuser or bubble counter is the best one for my size tank (430lt). Help please!! :-?

With a tank that size, if you are wanting to use a diffuser that blows tiny bubbles I would recommend two; one at each end.

I would ultimately recommend an inline (with your canister filter outflow) CO2 reactor. I got given the parts for mine so I was lucky. I don't think it would be too difficult to build your own out of plumbing bits, but if I was doing it from scratch I'd want one I could see in to.

With a tank that size, if you are wanting to use a diffuser that blows tiny bubbles I would recommend two; one at each end.

I would ultimately recommend an inline (with your canister filter outflow) CO2 reactor. I got given the parts for mine so I was lucky. I don't think it would be too difficult to build your own out of plumbing bits, but if I was doing it from scratch I'd want one I could see in to.

Could you put up a photo to show me how it is plumbed in?

And the reactor means no need for a diffuser?

IMG_0112.jpg

I no longer have the bio balls in the unit.

The CO2 bubbles start at the bottom and try head towards the top of the reactor but the water flow from the canister is going downwards. This process smashes the CO2 into smaller and smaller bubbles until they diffuse/exit through the bottom hose and into the tank.

I much prefer this method over having an airstone-like diffuser bubbling in my tank.

And yep, if you have something like this you won't need a diffuser.

I wonder though if connecting a diffuser up to my external filter will void the filters warranty?

I also have 2 external filters so the co2 would still only mainly be on one side. Thoughts?

Connect it up to the outflow after the water has gone through the filter. I tried putting mine on the intake but the bubbles made too much noise inside the filter.