Shop smarter new zealand

smidey

shops get things at wholesale price and the more they buy the cheaper it gets shipping wise, if they are paying retail then they need to find another suppler.

if i was buying products from suppliers i would look into what consumers could get it for and calculate whether it is worth buying at that rate.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do a bit of retailing, and the sad thing was that my wholesale price was more expensive than my parallel importing it from a retail outlet in the USA.

I bought a Canon DSLR recently from a major chain, and the price they were selling it at was cheaper than my mate could get wholesale from one of the official distributor.

So, basically it boils down to economies of scale, and the differential pricing that wholesalers get based on their volume. US internet retailers likely get it way cheaper than our distributors because they sell higher volumes.

What can the retailer do about it? Not much ... except switch to running an online store, and importing themselves from an internet retailer in the USA. And then you have the issue where customers walk in and expect shop prices to be the same as the retailer's internet price. :( I expected that when I bought some hydroton from a garden shop. They said, no, the price on their website was only for internet sales!

Another good example I am looking at getting when I have the money:

Locally:

Eheim compact+ 5000 = $475

Eheim Air Pump 400 = $90

Total = $565

Overseas:

Eheim compact+ 5000 = 90 Euro

Eheim Air Pump 400 = 21 Euro

Shipping = 38 Euro

Total = 149 Euro = 237 NZD

That is 238% more expensive locally.

I am aware of warranties and all that but at this price? I don't think so.

Another good example I am looking at getting when I have the money:

Locally:

Eheim compact+ 5000 = $475

Eheim Air Pump 400 = $90

Total = $565

Overseas:

Eheim compact+ 5000 = 90 Euro

Eheim Air Pump 400 = 21 Euro

Shipping = 38 Euro

Total = 149 Euro = 237 NZD

That is 238% more expensive locally.

I am aware of warranties and all that but at this price? I don't think so.

then + $10 for new plugs if not AU, still a few hundred dollars worth of saving there