car stuff - burst radiator top hose

Sophia

This afternoon we found a small blowout in the top radiator hose. Could this be caused by something as simple as an old hose that finally gave way or something more serious? It seemed to have happened when we got home after a short drive as the coolant had leaked onto the floor. Coolant in radiator was full and the right colour. Car has not been overheating at all. There is white powdery stuff around the hose end at the radiator end as if it's been leaking in some way earlier.

There was no white powdery stuff anywhere else, including inside the radiator cap.

The choices we know of are to patch the hole, drive to buy a new hose for $65 and see what happens next, or pay a mechanic to look at it and possibly charge double or more for the same thing. Any thoughts?

It may be possible that you can get cheaper part from places like supercheap, although they may not be identical, if the shape and size are correct, then trim off excess and fit. However I do realise that may not work.

my old car had to have an original hose at $60 odd dollars, as opposed to the close but not perfect $15 super cheap.

Hopefully you will be able to get it done ok. :sage:

The part we were quoted is $62 + freight at supercheap as they have to order it, same one is $78 at repco but the 3 stores they have it are at least 20 mins drive away and I'd be a bit scared driving around with a taped up hose. I don't know if the one above is a universal one but I suspect so as we don't usually see original mazda parts for a 96 Lantis on offer. Supercheap do have a $20-30 concertina type hose that comes in a range of diameters which is very tempting if they have one that fits. I haven't seen the one that we were originally quoted but if it's the mackay one from the website it would have to be cut as the end corner on ours is not quite the same. Glad to know others have done that already though

Tomorrow I go to the library to check the car manual and get the instructions :D

You'd think so but I haven't found anything useful online for this car ever. It's a weirdo car pieced together from tin cans and old socks and leftover skodas, the instructions and diagrams rarely match what is under the bonnet. It's hard to find parts too sometimes as it's base engine has bits from 323 and 626 of different years. I usually go to the library and copy the bit we need. Alternately it's $75 through a NZ book seller or I can get it from Amazon for about $26, Book depository for $33. Verrrryy tempting for the next time, though I hope there won't be one..... but there usually is :-?

• 2 weeks later...