Squirts 530L Tank

Squirt

!Squirtles 530L Tank!

Tank dimensions: 170cm (L) x 55cm (W) x 57cm (H)=530L

Stand: 172cm (L) x 58cm (W) x 58cm (H), Steel framed (6cm x 3.5cm)

Substrate: Sand

Tank occupants: One Red Eared Slider and Four Zebra Danios

Filter: Sunsun HW304 2000L/h

Lighting: Aqua One AL40D 2x40w T8s

Took 5 hours to get this is place but well worth it. It is still a bit murky but should clear up. Thanks to Dad and my Uncle for helping me move this monster! :wave:

Stand

8ab98ff9.jpg

Sand and Squirtle having a geeze

c52b3991.jpg

94e7225f.jpg

9a705e44.jpg

ff991a96.jpg

4bc26378.jpg

I'll have some more pictures once it clears up.

Enjoy! :thup:

:sage: I could never get rid of Squirtle! :kiss: I could plant it now but I don't know how long it will last...

and thanks to Mum Squirt for letting you keep it after all :hail:

:spop:

Haha yeah, she was working and pretty stunned when she came home! :slfg:

Yeah, there no massive bio load so I think I should be fine in that aspect. But in terms of keeping the water clear I think about it. Was thinking about adding the Sunsun HW303B that I have. If I did I'd fill it with sponges and filter wool so it's just mechanical filtration. Or maybe just a powerhead? :dunno: I'll give it a run for a while.

The only problem with the filter is that there is a 10cm lip so I have to buy some fittings to get around it. :digH:

The stand is awesome. Looks much better than the previous bright green Stand :sml1:

That's a kickass stand, but I'm with blueether, ditch the turtle and plant it out! :wink:

Never! :slfg: might do something next to it with the 200L :lol: might just breed minnows or something outside :dunno: :sage:

I would be tempted to hinge the doors in the middle

I quite like it makes it feel more "open" when they go outwards. Should do it up and make it so they go in like a garage door... :roll:

Squirtle is a real cute name! What a lucky slider. If only more people kept them so well. :D

Thanks, I guess he's my pet so he's my responsibility. He's part of the family :kiss:

I quite like it makes it feel more "open" when they go outwards. Should do it up and make it so they go in like a garage door... :roll:

What I meant was that the doors are very long and swing a long way into the room, I would be tempted to cut them in half and hinge them in the middle of the door as well a la French doors

That's the happiest looking turtle I've ever seen!

Thanks, What makes him happy makes me happy :love:

dnt ditch the hard shelled thing, put it in a pond if you decide to change tank purpose :sage:

nice tank. if there isnt a heat lamp hidden in there then adding one would be good for the turtle.

a colony of convict cichlids would probably do ok in there. . . :D

Haha mum and dad didn't like the proposal of a pond in the front lawn, so I ended up with a tank (probably would've been more cost effective in the long run, I mean that's one less bit of the lawn you don't have to mow! :slfg: ).

I Thought about cichlids but decided they are not for me (too big? Idk but danios are like a smaller nicer version IMO)

I should get round to adding a heat lamp in, but I figure it's mid 20s (25-27C) inside during the day (during summer, due to good insulation, and that part of the house getting sun (when it's here) about 8 hours a day), so about that in the tank as well (which is about right for basking temperatures). He seems to be basking everyday, and drying out, so I figure he's ok for the moment until I get round to buying one (when I get some more cash $!), would probably be good in there over winter as well. Plus there's quite a bit of lighting in there at the moment (emitting some heat) keeping him toasty :thup:

I sometimes seem to question heat lamps, as in the wild it wouldn't always be 27C maybe a few times a month (depending on season) here , but I can see how it is beneficial.

No real implications, I buy plats for him so he gets some greenery and has something to play with.

Sometimes eats them sometimes doesn't, always rips them out though.

Not really, poops more than any fish I've seen in an aquarium, but they seem to clean up their excretement :sick:

• 4 months later...

Really nice :thup:

What is the yellow thing on the left side of the tank? Looks like it's something being held on with a suction cup??

Do turtles have to have an area that allows them time out of the water???

Thanks,

Caper :P