Coldie pics

puttputt

2 display tanks, one 1200 x 700 x 550h, and another i call the nem tank 1000 x 500 x 220h, both connected to a 7' sump, that contains liverock, a huge deep sand bed with cockles/tuatuas and a large clear area for return pumps etc.

Filtration by the rock within the displays and sump, bed sand bed, and a deltec 902 skimmer.

Remember, very few inverts in our local waters use sunlight to produce food, unlike tropical corals etc, so you need to feed alot, and obviously have processes to remove alot of waste.

Thanks for that PP..

Just what I needed to keep the motivation going.. can be a bit daunting going from fresh to salt.. but I got a skimmer too now so almost there.... NOT! :slfg:

....the lengths some people will go to to get rid of snails :sml2:

I like the photos Puttputt. Native marine is quite appealing with all the cool little fish that can be found in rockpools and shallow water around. one day....

Wow that is the largest sump I have ever seen in a private setup!

PP Did you use regular beach sand or aragonite/coral sand for your deep sand bed?

I see you are in Kerikeri.. must be nice having so many fantastic beaches nearby for collection.

....the lengths some people will go to to get rid of snails :sml2:

Hehe don't worry Sophia I will still keep my snails.

Its bare bottom atm.

Have used polished shell from way up north, but gets covered in coraline abd loses its look.

Run the tanks with lots of current and bb - helps keep the tank clean.

ok cool, do you use nz coraline rocks or to you use dry coral rocks and cycle it yourself? (im setting up a tank so im asking lots of questions ;) )

Ask away, Coraline will naturally form from your NSW, or small rocks that have weed etc attached, you dont need to add coraline rocks for it to form.

I only use coral rock, and thoroughly recommend you only use it as well. It is just perfect for a marine tank, and i really would not trust any local heavy rocks.

Ask away, Coraline will naturally form from your NSW, or small rocks that have weed etc attached, you dont need to add coraline rocks for it to form.

I only use coral rock, and thoroughly recommend you only use it as well. It is just perfect for a marine tank, and i really would not trust any local heavy rocks.

ok cool, im going to get jewel nems again as well and maybe a clown nudi which ive never had : :happy2:, and try and a get a 2 spot damsel :D

• 1 month later...