FX5 STOPPED WORKING

Gill

In panic mode here , my new FX5 (bought Jan 2012 )has stopped working,husband thinks the motor has burnt out. Bought from HFF. So looks like a mad dash there asap .Any idea as to what may have happened. Water changes here we go :evil: :evil:

Thanks, Ihad the Eheim in another tank so its full of good stuff,so not that worried about the bacteria. I have two other tanks i can grab more bacteria from. Its just a pain in the neck. Thought i would go with a good filter and its let me down after only 6 weeks if that. Hubby is going to take it back tomorrow ....I will just have to keep changing the water and fingers crossed my clown loaches ,frontosa and parrots will be ok . Its not over stocked so i'm really hoping it will be ok .... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Hi,

So you know that they re-prime themselves every 24 hours (turn off and back on 30 seconds later)

Mine sometimes wouldn't re-prime, and then I would have to take the motor off and make sure the impeller was not blocked, then put it back together and off it went.

This was rather annoying and on closer inspection I found that the impeller was actually broken. I'll try and explain the broken bit.

At the top of the impeller is the flat white disk that is the "blade" bit, and on top of this is a raised bit, which is kind of like a lip, (you could put an old 50c piece into it! Flat against the impeller blade) and I think the function of this part is to seat the impeller in the body of the filter.

On a cursory inspection it appeared that this part was fine, however if I gave it a bit of a wiggle I noticed that this part was 75% detached from the impeller blade. Once I replaced the impeller then I never had the issue again.

Theoretically you could take the motor off and just place the rest of the fx5 unit in your tank with air stones running in it to try and keep the bacteria alive, and just take the motor back to HFF if the impeller is fine.

Phew the filter is back in ... HFF didn't have a spare motor but at the suggestion of my husband they took the motor out of a box of a new filter on the shelf. GREAT service, Apparently its the first time they have had a motor go !!! :happy2: :happy2: