This is SO sad and cruel

zeebee

THis is a very asian thing.

Unfortunately, generally speaking, asian countries regard animal welfare as one of the last priorities. Which is really quite funny, cos their main religions such as buddhism prohibits such animal cruelty yet they practice it daily

i have had many arguments on the arofanatics.com forum, predominantly asians there - keeping arowanas in 120x50x50 tanks! thinking its ok.

this is common.

i have seen large arowanas in 4 foot tanks with water only about 30 cm deep....

many of their beliefs in this regard is based largely on supestition and old wives tales.

This sort of practice is common, anything for 'good luck or good fortune'

asians are one of the easiest people to market to, all you gotta drop is FENG SHUI and something to do iwth money and happiness.

*disclaimer, i am asian myself and have a very good insight to this culture, so in case you label me racist, im immune to such things:)

of course

but as a general rule, these sort of practices are not accepted in more 'caucasian' countries.

america MIGHT have a small portion of it but even then, its frowned upon.

in asia, pretty much everything goes.

look at this

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/14/china.animal.keyring/index.html

only a group of crazy people would think this is ok.

these animals are actually sentenced to death, there is absolutely no way for them to survive long term, its disposable animals really.

This sort of practice would NEVER be accepted in countries that are not asian, ONLY in asian countries, maybe african nations you would see such atrocities.

on a note, china has no sweeping animal welfare act like we do and most HUMANE countries have.

that is why this goes on.

it is a testament to the backward - savagery of those places really.

i went to thailand, and saw 10 figure 8 puffers for sale for less than 10 nzd, sitting on the side of the road in a small bag under the sun. 8 of the 10 are dead, bloated, the other two surely is about to die.

this is the practice there.

if they make sweeping changes tot he law and ban this, but in saying that, all those asian govt are extremely corrupt...

not Taito philip field - do me some tiling and ill help you get residence corrupt but... TRULY corrupt... as in.

"Pay men 100 bux and ill turn my head away as you commit a horrendous crime' type of corrupt.

so wont make a difference

its a mix of cultural, ill-educated mentality and apathy.

like that video of that little girl ran over twice, everyone ignores her.

its cultural apathy.

there is more to worry about in their country than a little turtle.

animal welfare is a first world priority and problem

doesnt mean i agree with it, in fact i hate it too, though i have no issue with killing animals for food if they are not endangered, im no hippie, but this is stupid, plain and simple.