Med - large South American species advice needed

CodKing

Hi All,

My project is finally about to come together, just one more detail I'm in need of help on. This is the style I'm aiming for...

1q0ky8.jpg

I'd like a single large fish to fill in the top and mid water but I'm not too sure what my options are. I would love a Green Severum but I'm reading that plants aren't compatible.

I'm going for a South American theme with mainly sword varieties. Tank mates will be Bolivian Rams and Corydoras. Capacity is 180L

Keyhole cichlid/convict cichlid/Angelfish/Discus. You can't really do any of the 'larger' S.A's, and some will rip up plants, these are what I suggest. It's a hit and miss with sevs, some munch plants like no tomorrow and others ignore them.

I'm not a fan of Angels but I have seen a few very nice specimens on the net. I keep coming back to Discus, I think that might be the go.

Good suggestion! Looks like they hang out in the lower part of the tank, going to be pretty busy down there already. :facepalm:

I have festivums in my planted tank and they are mainly mid-top dwellers. They have an "uppy" mouth so should stick up high. They do nibble on my plants a little but they don't do much harm.

What about a pair of Discus, or three? Don't think I would want any more than that.

Festivums might be the way to go if they fit that water position.

You could easily fit 4-5 discus in a 180L if you have good filtration and change water often enough. Few rams and some cories as well..

You could easily fit 4-5 discus in a 180L if you have good filtration and change water often enough. Few rams and some cories as well..

Not so much concerned about the load, was meaning will they be happy if there is a pair or three of them or are they better kept in larger groups?

I think the rule with discus is get a good group 4-5+ or have a pair. I've never tried them by themselves before but I wouldn't recommend it. They certainly are great fish, just make sure you get good quality, and don't buy them as youngsters if they're going straight into a planted tank.