Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marine IDs please

Featured Replies

the common names dont mean anything really they change from person to person place to place id call that a hammer coral too but im well aware others call it a frogspawn neither of us are wrong, i have a green candy cane its also known as a pineapple coral as i found out

in this thread

I still think it is Euphyllia parancora because if you look closely the tips have that hammer-look from what I can see. Euphyllia paradivisa is more compact and has round tips.

You think so? Parancoras look a little bit different at that size, I used to have a Paradivisia around that size and it looked exactly like it. I also had 2 types of torch/hammer/parancora frags. The tips do look similar at a distance, but I think if you look closer you'd see that the coloured tips are more broken up than they would be if it was a Parancora. The colouration is exactly the same as I remember my frogspawn too. Pictures off the net are alright to go by, but one Euphyllia can look very different depending on what it's doing, plump with all the polyps stretching out, retracted, inbetween, etc etc etc.

Not being stubborn or anything, but I believe that IS a Paradivisia. It looked just like mine did when the only thing lighting the tank was the light in the room.

Liveaquaria comparison

Euphyllia paradivisa

Euphyllia parancora

Paradivisa has far more visible "tips", more broken up too. I used to own this coralllllllll

  • Author

Now I know why I had so much trouble identifying them myself! Thanks for the help guys.

So, if I remember correctly, the argument was regarding the stuff the fish is nestled into? What about the last pic with green things in it? I thought, at first, it was 2 different things but on closer inspection realise it is half open and half closed same entity.

Yup, the stuff the fish was nestled into. The last photo? You mean the light green or yellowish centred coral on the left?

Might be wrong but it looks just like this : Colony Polyp, Yellow. Not sure if this was what you're talking about..

Looks like a Parazoanthus or Zoanthus species. Not sure though...

Yeah, I'd go with Parazoanthus of some sort. Not too sure if it's fully described or not. There are a few sites giving it a full genus and species name but yeah. So so many species and variants in the Zoantharia order

This is my guess :)

DSC06078.jpg

Platygyra

DSC06079.jpg

Favites

Both are from the Faviidae family. There is also a 3rd similar one called a Favia - that is very similar to the Favites but the little 'circles' have their own coralite wall (the Favites share coralite walls). Platygyra have maze like shared walls. They are all commonly known as Brian Corals.

And what a lovely, healthy looking tank!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.