wanting more fish

chris b

Can i keep arowana or datnodes with my discus,fire eel,ghost knife,loaches?

i have about 30 loaches smallest about 4cm, 3 discus smallest about 6cm the eel is 10cm and the knife is 14cm ish

it will be bending to the loaches conditions.

They are in a 6x2x2 tank at 29ish degrees with soft water ph is around 6.5 and current is quite strong at one end and planted and carm at the other end

i run a big power head and 3 filters 2 sun sun and one pond filter water turn over is about 10 times an hour

i haven't done much research yet but i'm sure you people can point me in the right direction any advice would be great thanks

If you're new to arowanas, I would suggest that you do some research before buying one. Based on your tank size/ filtration/ tank mates, I would recommend a silver arowana. They are the most gentle of the arowanas (generally) so they should be ok with your discus. Whatever you do, don't get a jardini (aka pearl) arowana, unless you want to lose your discus and potentially some others as well.

Jardinii will attack anything that isnt fast enough to avoid it or big enough to put up a fight, basically a monster. unless raised from tiny size with many fish.

as for silver, they are definitely the most peacefull of all thats available here.

i dont see a problem with your stocking ideas, except your tank is too small, and you need more filtration.

i agree, but i found in the past, dats if well fed do not bother ground dwellers, they tend to know who to not bother in my experience.

dats have a different way of eating, arowana will grab the food and must be able to catch it, a dat has to nly be about a few cm from its prey and will inhale it with its massive extending mouth like a john dory.

i had dats with smallish clown loaches never an issue IF well fed. also clowns are very fast.

but in say ing that, there is always that risk

well fed to me may not be well fed to you.

in 1 year, i got my dat at 2 inches to grow to literally 12 inches! primary diet is massivore 80% prawns 20%

so when peole say dats are slow growers, untrue, it depends on protein intake.

i also have 2 silver sharks 13cm i forgot about them. i will look into a silver aro i think redwood had some last time i was there for $180 but not 100% sure.

I will do lots of resurch b4 i buy thanks for the help :thup:

post some photos of your current set up.

its not about research, care for silver arowana is actually easy, probably easier than most fish - that is after you have a large enough tank, and filtration to handle it. THey are hardy and easy to feed.

The thing is, if your tank is very crowded, your tank is approx 700 litres.

that may seem large but for an arowana that is the utter minimum (some say not even enough)

dats get huge. with 700 litres, your waste dilution is reaching its max, its not just space, its water volume, so when you get an amonia surge, it will spike.

amonia concentration is directly related to water volume

say you have a 700 litre tank and there is 10 grams of amonia - and if you double your tank to 1400litres and have the same 10 grams, your concentrations are less .

i also have 2 silver sharks 13cm i forgot about them. i will look into a silver aro i think redwood had some last time i was there for $180 but not 100% sure.

I will do lots of resurch b4 i buy thanks for the help :thup:

Aside from the issues that Henward just pointed out, if you make the changes and decide to get a silver arowana, $180 is a real rip-off. These days silvers go for about $120-$130.

for an aro 60depth is far to small even at 35cms they need lots of room to turn around not just swim length ways i would look into getting a larger tank at some stage if you are going to get an aro they grow really fast need so much space id go atleast 80 depth

hahaha you cant get them in timaru the pet shop only does small fish like neon's etc i will put a post on the wanted to buy forum here see if anyone has a arowana they don't want.

I will try get a photo in the morning when all the clowns are out, the rest of the day it looks empty, i'm crap with a camera just to worn ya :slfg:

as for filtering i got the turn over wrong i think this is what its running

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=412824194

also got the pump from same people which is very gruntee

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=324396775

x2 of the second one

i do 1 water change a week about 40% and clean 1 filter out maybe every second week which rotates through the 3 (only cleaning with tank water)

i am wanting to upgrade the tank might make me get into it and start building :lol:

for an aro 60depth is far to small even at 35cms they need lots of room to turn around not just swim length ways i would look into getting a larger tank at some stage if you are going to get an aro they grow really fast need so much space id go atleast 80 depth

I agree with Zuri on this one. Didn't read the initial post too carefully, so didn't notice that it's 2 feet wide. Most arowana keepers say that 2.5 feet is a good minimum, but for silvers 3 feet wide is the best. You can help to give the arowana more space by keeping your ornaments low so that the middle-top of the tank is arowana territory and he can move more freely. A pearl arowana would probably do alright in a 6x2x2 since they don't get as big, but they are a HUGE RISK.

Choose wisely, young grasshopper. :sage:

Why does everyone over estimate the size of fish!!!

The 18cm loach arrived today, more like 12cm thats a pretty big difference in my books, still looking awsome i will upload a pic if it's out schooling tomorrow morning to show the difference in sizes.

Also do you guys quarantine loaches? Everyone (internet sights) tells me too because they get white spot easy but my loaches have never had it. I don't no what it is that i do different but somethings keeping it under control maybe UV light?

When i get a new fish i put the bag in the tank for few hours letting small bits of tank water in every now and again then put the fish into a bucket, then net it and put it straight into the tank. Seems to work for me(touch wood)!

Anyone else got any methods or ways of keeping it in check when introducing new fish?

Also do you guys quarantine loaches? Everyone (internet sights) tells me too because they get white spot easy but my loaches have never had it.

I'd certainly recommend it [quarantining new arrivals] so you keep it that way. I learned my lesson the hard way, "it hasn't happened yet" doesn't mean much when you're watching your oldest 20cm CL battle to breathe in a soup of malafix and malachite green...

My gf must have got a surprise then coz i tend to under estimate my sizing :sml2:

i have a 200L tank set up for quarantine and did use it when i brought the 6 loaches off here other than that i never do, might start using it tho as david r said i would hate to see my big guys struggling