Guess what I found

blueether

It was a very nice sized giant kokopu.

It's very hard to take good pics with one hand on a camera-phone, just about took the SLR out but didn't think I'd find anything that nice to photograph.

When I first saw it I thought it might have been a trout as I had just seen a ~4-5lb one just 15m along the creek. Within 3 or 4 min of his (her) release he was feeding again.

Saw about 7 giant kokopu ranging from ~120mm to this bigie. Still not seen any bandeds in localish streams yet.

It's very hard to take good pics with one hand on a camera-phone, just about took the SLR out but didn't think I'd find anything that nice to photograph.

Heh fair call... you did well enough for a relative newbie to correctly identify it though... so can't be all bad.

Interesting that it was so close to trout... seems you have a good population of giants down there which is encouraging!

Thanks for sharing :)

Oh.... and well done on catching it in the first place! :bow:

Oh.... and well done on catching it in the first place!
Easy, just place net beside* and slightly down stream and watch as fishie swims in :sage:

*That was easer said than done, I have an extending pole (tent pole) with net attached, this was fully extended (about 2.5m?) and I was at full strech just to get close...