Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dwarf Puffer set-up

Featured Replies

Wondering if anyone has any experience with dwarf puffer fish set-ups? I have been researching these little guys for a while now, I have a 40l Aquastart pro 360, with a hooded light. Would this tank be big enough for day two dwarf puffers and perhaps something on the bottom?. From what I have read they require a heavily planted tank and frozen food such as blood worms and brineshrimp, or live food as they reject flake foods? I am having difficulty however finding suitable tank sizes for these wee fish.

Any help would be appreciated :D

I have two dwarfpuffers in a blueplanet 20 litre. They are very happy, my tank has a little cave and some plants here and there. I feed them bloodworms soaked in garlic guard every second night. I handfeed it with an aquarium tweezer. The garlic guard is to help prevent intestinal problems which is the main cause of puffer deaths. They have a light in their tank that is on from 9am to 7pm. Algae is a bit of a problem as they attack and eat anything else I put in the tank including ottos which is apparently the only fish they are compatable with. Although small they are extrememly vicious even with their cute googly eyes. I give them some red ramshorn snails every now and then as a treat as well. They never last long enough to eat even a bit of algae LOL. If you ever need any advice just ask and I would love to help out, I have had mine for a year now :D Just to add, I do a almost 50% waterchange once a week, filter maintanance once a month and carbon changes every 3 months.

Picture of my tank

IMAG0086.jpg

  • Author

Ooooh very cool :) So I wouldn't need to worry about a 40l being too small :) What are these otos you mentioned? A type of catfish? So bristlenoses wouldnt be suitable either? Do you add salt to your tank at all?

Thanks for your help :)

I wouldn't add BNs, even though puffers are small they are aggressive to most fish.

Ottos are a kind of catfish, small and eat algae. You may be luck, you may not be, all depends on the personality of the fish.

Ooooh very cool :) So I wouldn't need to worry about a 40l being too small :) What are these otos you mentioned? A type of catfish? So bristlenoses wouldnt be suitable either? Do you add salt to your tank at all?

Thanks for your help :)

Oto information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otocinclus

My otto lasted one day in my tank, the next morning he was gone, not a trace of him.

Dwarf puffers are deffinetly a specie only fish, I would not put any fish with them especailly bristlenoses.

No salt, they are completely freshwater fish.

Your 40 litre would be a mansion for two little dwarf pufferfish :thup:

I've kept puffers as well. I had a pair and added 4 more. They were fine until the original pair decided that they liked to snack on the others in the dark of night.

I've kept puffers as well. I had a pair and added 4 more. They were fine until the original pair decided that they liked to snack on the others in the dark of night.

+1

I agree with Adrienne, some people have success with more than two, but others find that like Adrienne, two are happier together so any extras become a yummy midnight snack. These little guys do look absolutely addorable and tame, but believe me they are vicious little killers. I have heard of them eating and nibbling away on fish ten times their size, so don't mess with them, dinamite comes in small packages.

Here mine are pretending to be cute :love:

IMAG0483.jpg

  • Author

Puffers are so tempting :o

In my mind I am currently working out how to convince my flat mate to let me have another tank, Ive just set my heart on some other wee fish but these guys keep drawing me back. :facepalm:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.