Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Breeding Kribs

Featured Replies

I am wanting to eventually breed kribs. I have myself a lovely boy kribensis. Was wandering how fussy are kribs when it comes to breeding? Will it take a few females before I can pair?

Kribs arent fussy, I have a pair now breeding regularly and have breed them previously with no issues. Best method i found was to get two females and one male, feed them up on blood worms. the females are the most active in the breeding process eventually they will pair up once you have a pair remove the spare female or she will get harrassed to death. I also usually find that an other fish in the tank means the fry disapear after a week. I usually start with a deep silcate sand substrate and two spawning areas (plant pots) but as soon as the fry are out and about I syphon as much sand out as possible so that cleaning the tank is easier. As soon as i see the fry out I feed micro worms 3-4 x daily, after a few weeks of micro worms, I start feeding ground flakes and micro worms alternately, I have never feed brine shrimp, (tried it, my fry just ignored it strange!). you'll need a few grow ut tanks. Good luck they are fun to breed.. :D

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Thanks for your tips :)

I got only one female, and the male seems to HATE her. Whenever he sees her, he rushes up to her and tries to bite her :( noticed a nip out of her dorsal fin this afternoon.

240L, plenty of hiding spaces....

What to do??

The females usually bully the males, the females instigate the breeding usually. It could be that the female is to young or it could be the male is ready to breed the female not. When I breed them I usually use two females, that way they are so busy competing for the males attention and chasing each other about the male gets left alone. When they do eventually pair up they settle down and I take the spare female out before it gets stressed or injured.

If you dont want a third female, separate your male and female for a while and try again. But if ones ready and the other not you'll end up with a really stressed or injured fish. Good luck :wink:

Also what age are they? I have never been able to breed kribs that are less than 8 months old..... this could be the reason....

Also try feeding them blood worms. they usually colour up after 4 or 5 days on blood worms and get straight down to business.

Good luck let me know if any of this helps

THought you may want a look at my latest crop.... Male was a normal krib, the female an albino version. the split was 40% normal 40% albino and 20%who knows what but they look in between the two... interesting to see which way they develope

DSCF0748.jpg

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Well after waiting all the fighting out between male and female they finally paired up. Fed them up on bloodworms and now she's guarding the flower pot. Fingers crossed I will soon have some babies!!!

I had a number of spawnings of albino to albino kribs and they always had a small percentage of normals included. Weird genetics, I have never seen that with other fish. Your normal may be split to albino.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.