African babies

gabe651@gmail.com

Hi ,need advice for setting up a tank for the babies to grow out. Have had a couple breedings but the babies when the females released them died. First batch had about 20 fry that died after a few days. The second batch the egg sacs all bust. Had set up a tank with the tank water from the main tank, also cycled the filters in the same tank water. Had the thermostat set to 24-26 Celsius . Have read up as much as I can prior and scanned through what posts there are on here but still don't know what went wrong? Please answer with positive advice many thanks to you all.

Gabe.

i have a tank setup the same as the main tank, same temp etc. if you strip them you should just be able to throw them into the other tank, as long as there is food they should do fine. if they still have egg sacks when i strip i put them into a breeding net in the grow out tank until they are bigger then just release them into the tank itself.

what sort of africans are they?

Too much water movement can be fatal for new fry. Forget a canister filter. As long as your breeding tank is not too big (60L or less) I would use a sponge filter only. Another option is to put the fry into a floating "fry saver" for the first week or two after being stripped just while they're adjusting too life outside of the mouth and fending for themselves etc. I have an ice cream container that ive cut two sides out of and glued gauze too and stuck some polystyrene to the sides to float it. I give the fry 2 weeks in there then move them to a 55L breeding tank. I find this to be a successful system. Hope that helps :thup:

What F-F said. To much water movement for the fry will surely kill the fry. It also depends what stage the fry are at when you strip them. If still mostly egg sac then a egg tumbler will be reqiured. If at fry stage then a tank or ice cream container wth gentle water movement always works for me.

Filtration isnt that important if the fry arent eating yet hence i use ice cream containers. Once they are ready to eat I move to a grow out tank.

i have 4 2 foot tanks all with undergravel filters hooked up to one air pump. i dont bother about air stones because the bubbling from the undergravel filter which aggitates the water surface seems to be enough. i use the smallest grade lime chip i can find for my substrate and with weekly water changes maintains the ph at 8 and is very easy to vacuum up muck. i have a 100w heater in each tank but at this time of year you never see the lights going and in winter i just cover them with a blanket at night. i havnt lost one fry and have seen no change in my power bill. i have had no problems putting the mums straight in those tanks from my main tank or just tipping the newly spat fry straight in if they spit them in the net. hope this helps as i have found it to be very cost effective