mystery fry...

akaxo

is there anyway of telling from looking at the fry to know what kind of fish they are? i have four that appeared in an outside pond i have that just has snails in it and is a breeding spot for mosquito larvae for feeding to fish. there is only two possible places they could have come from that i can think of: a few mountain minnow eggs on some water cress roots that i recently moved from the fish pond to the other pond or wild eggs attached to some duckweed i got from a local river and put in it.

the fry are now in a small tank by themselves and are growing well and eating mashed up cooked egg yolk. they have a quite distinctive bright blue stripe down them. i'd have thought that if the mountain minnows bred i'd have more than four?

actually kind of exciting not knowing for sure what they are and watching them grow. i guess i can relate to people who don't want to know the sex of their baby before giving birth ha.

i'd post a photo but really all the ones i took are about as useful as looking at a tank with only oxygen weed and four little fuzzy blurs floating in it.

oh yeah that's them for sure. thanks for that, i did a google image search for mountain minnow fry or something like that the other day but didn't find anything that good. they're not quite that big yet though.

first time i've had fish breed :) guess that makes me a grandpa...

• 3 weeks later...