problem with my red spotted severums

myfishybuisness

it looks like they have broken the thermometer and maybe eaten some of the mecury/glass ,not sure tho, but the female is looking really shy and has a grey patch above her head, not sure what to do, the male has also been harrasing her but nothing to bad just a little chase every now and then, i have divided them , but still unknown what is wrong with them, also just did a 30% water change and dosed with melafix to see if that helps

and dosed with melafix to see if that helps

How is that meant to help? not being abrasive, but seems like a waste of time and melafix...

You've got to remove as much mercury as possible, this may include removing substrate etc and biffing it.

Heavy metal poisoning is not fun, so wear gloves etc. If the fish have ingested a bit, it is going to stay with them for life, there is no way to remove it, despite reported herbal remedies etc, the body (yours and your fishes) cannot metabolise mercury at all.

case in Point, Tuna are being found with increasingly high levels of tuna, being predatory fish, thier prey might ingest tiny amounts, but being that it can't be metabolised, it builds up in their system. Sharks are reportedly in even worse state.

just one article about mercury in tuna

How is that meant to help? not being abrasive, but seems like a waste of time and melafix...

You've got to remove as much mercury as possible, this may include removing substrate etc and biffing it.

Good thing aquarium thermometers haven't used mercury for decades. Was the line inside red? Have you ever seen red mercury? Mercury is silver. It's alcohol with a little bit of red dye in it. It's harmless.

Good thing aquarium thermometers haven't used mercury for decades. Was the line inside red? Have you ever seen red mercury? Mercury is silver. It's alcohol with a little bit of red dye in it. It's harmless.

I have several that have mercury in them still, so "decades" is obviously a hyperbole... The red dye is sat on top of a bed of mercury, and moves in relation to the thermo-expansion/ contraction of mercury in the base.

I had my Frontosas break a thermometer in my tank once and I just left the balls in there because they are too tiny to get out. All fish lived on fine and all the balls eventually disappeared into the gravel. I couldn't even find the tiny shards of broken glass. I wouldn't worry too much since you have cleaned it all up.

To be clear- Mercury is toxic in large doses, but due to it not being able to be excreted and is helb in teh tissues, can build up.

There is so little mercury in a thermometer, it shouldn't be an issue in terms of exposure for teh small amount of time that you had it in there, unless a fish were to ingest it, and even then, would take a decent amount to be toxic.

so panic factor should be 0 :thup: