November 3, 201114 yr comment_460491 Hi I saw this thread http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24585&hilit=Filter+Canister&start=30 the other day and I was pondering on building it. :dunno: so to my understanding it is just the suction of the filter sucking in water and pushing it out? So I was thinking of having a grate about a 1cm under the power head, so the media does get caught up on the filter. then under the grate sponge, then bio noodles then maybe another sponge? Its for a 30L tank and I was thinking of a 300L/h pump, which is 10x turnover so it should be enough. Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement? Thanks Matt Report
November 3, 201114 yr comment_460506 What head height are you looking at? That'll effect the turn over rate, if it were me, I'd look at something slightly more powerful that I could turn down if needed, say even 600lph. Report
November 3, 201114 yr Author comment_460507 I'm not sure what you mean by head height. But tank is 25cm tall, container that I will building it in will be about 20cm. Report
November 3, 201114 yr comment_460547 Ah, like from the top of the canister filter to the tank - how far above the filter the water has to be pushed up. Or are you going to have them right next to each other, the same height? Report
November 3, 201114 yr comment_460560 A 300l/h pump will be fine. Don't waste money buying a higher turnover pump unless you know you will use it for something else in the future. ADA recommend 8-10x turnover so you'll be just fine with a 300l/h pump. The only advantage of having a higher turnover pump is if you want to have a prefilter with a really fine filtration material that requires extra flow to force the water through it. Report
November 3, 201114 yr comment_460590 A 300l/h pump will be fine. Don't waste money buying a higher turnover pump unless you know you will use it for something else in the future. ADA recommend 8-10x turnover so you'll be just fine with a 300l/h pump. The only advantage of having a higher turnover pump is if you want to have a prefilter with a really fine filtration material that requires extra flow to force the water through it. Yeah, if its only 10cm then a three hundred will be fine, forget what I said before, unless you plan on putting this on a bigger tank at some point? The pumps just lose a lot of flow if they have to push the water up much; ie my one had to go nearly a metre up Report
November 4, 201114 yr comment_460647 If it's a sealed loop the pressure from the water syphoning from the tank will equal out the pressure required to pump the head height so it won't matter how high it is (within reason). If it's not a sealed loop then this doesn't count Report
November 9, 201114 yr Author comment_461120 Hi, By sealed loop, you mean like having intake and outtake in the water. I will draw up some plans later. Thanks Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.