How safe would this tank be?

Squirt

Hi

I plan on making a custom tank. The dimensions will be

40cmx30cmx25cm (LxWxH) in 5mm glass. I plan to have two braces at the top on each end 30cmx5cm. Would this tank be safe? And I just realized I have done this wrong.

I ordered pieces

1@ 30x40

2@ 40x25

2@ 30x25

2@ 30x5

As I have been reading up on tanks the walls of the tank should be sitting on the base, so may have to change my order to

1@ 30x40

2@ 40x25

2@ 29x25(this is to compensate for the thickness if the glass?)

2@ 30x25

I understand you start with the base, then stick the front panel on, then sides, then back, then top braces. Using aquarium silicone. And using a heavy object to hold the glass vertical and masking tape to hold it all together?

Any advice on tank making is appreciated :hail::hail:

Thanks in advance

Matt

I assume the last two pieces are 30cm x 25mm and I would not worry about them---they realy don't do much structurally on a tank that size--may help to locate the lid. Don't forget to allow for access for heater wire, airhose and filter pipes and wires.

Place back, then ends, then front, then add fillet

A problem is that the thicker glass like 10 or 12 mm is only used for big panels so it is possible to get larger pieces as offcuts. The thinner glass can be used for right down to very small sizes like louvres in a toilet window so they charge retail for everything. People who make tanks get a better deal because they take everything. It may be cheaper and better to pay a tank maker to make it.

5mm is safe as because it is only 250mm high. The taller the tank, the more pressure there is on the joint at the bottom and the longer the tank the more flex there will be at the top. This sized tank would normally be built from 4 or 5 mm glass with no bracing and would be perfectly OK.I had three tanks of a similar size from 4mm that worked very well until shakey town started.