Kevin the Fire Eel

alexyay

I posted a topic a while back about my father who got a fire eel and was told they stay small. I thought I might just give a bit of an update -

He's now in a Juwel 260 (of course we'll get a larger tank once he grows out of it, but it'll do for now and I might inherit it once he's done with it :slfg:), I'm a bit confused though about substrate. I've heard different things about fire eels with sand - one that they love to burrow and so-forth in the sand but also one that sand isn't good for them because they may eat it or that it may damage them because they have scales? I'm not entirely sure what the general opinion on this is, so that'd be nice.

I'll post piccies some time next week :D I believe he'll also put a couple of his discus in there because he feels that the 400L is getting a tad crowded, he got the discus from someone who's tank was also crowded and is a friend of his... I'm not entirely sure if Kevin'd get too big for them or not.

Apparently he could live with a zebra spiny? Dad (unlike me) isn't keen on specimen tanks, and he's quite fond of multiple fish so I just want to make sure about the compatibility of them both, because I don't get many results on Google.

By the way, I know this is unrelated but I don't want to fill the forum up with my topics - I have a 70L blue planet tank that I *will* get set up eventually, but I need a cabinet first. Anyway, I've had multiple opinions on this too. I'd like to have a betta with around 7 glowlights, would there be any algae eaters that fit in this without over-stocking the tank? I'm also intrigued about glass catfish - what are their care requirements?

Anywho, thanks for reading and I'll post pics soon :D

1. I use gravel in my tank (not sand) and my fire eel is fine - he doesn't dig (yet) because he's not strong enough to move the stones but he swims around and hides behind the filter intake happily enough.

2. Zebra spiney referring to another eel? I'm not sure, but I've read that eels do not co-exist, one per tank regardless of species - but I might be wrong.

3. A bristlenose pleco should fit well in a 70L tank and they are great algae eaters.

4. Glass catfish are really easy to care for and they school when you have a group of 6 or more - eat just about anything that fits into their tiny mouths (flake, brineshrimp, bloodworms). Can't remember their max size though.

1. Make sure it's rounded gravel either wise it might get injured

2. IMO I don't think it will end well. Either territory issues or one will beat or eat the other.

3. Pass

4. Glass catfish prefer temps of up to 26C do best in groups as ally said. Like plants Unsure of size I'd guess at 15cm

i dont give them the chance to dig, so substrate is not deep enough.

if you do the same, its fine, as long as they have somewhere to hide.

a pvc pipe coated in silicone and dipped in gravel gives a natural tunnel look - or a half log.

none of my eels get a chance to burrow.

my big tt eel doesnt burrow, it really is the king of the tank though

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I have a Fire Eeel and have had him/her for about 2 years now, It is in a hevily planted tank and has had both silica sand and small rounded gravel substraight and have had no problems with either. It digs out a hole under some driftwood for its house and is happy as larry there. I have had one problem with the heater burning it so had to make up a heater gard for it as it got quite badly burnt but has healed up well. They have skin no scales so sharp stones are some thing to watch out for. Mine is a real pet and comes out for food, eats out of my hand and lets me pat him. I have only on Eel in the tank but he is in with alot of diferent fish including Whiptails, SAE, Apistos, Neons and Minnow!!! lol but they may one night end up a snack but hey thats life as a fish aye. He is in a 430L tank that is chocka full of plants and is very happy in there now all I need is 5 Discus to go in with him and I think my tank will be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Oopsies, I haven't even put up photos yet!

The Juwel 260 is set up now :D Unfortunately Kev isn't in there yet because it's been quite stressful getting him out.

Anywho - photos:

DSC02085.jpg

I thought I had some of the discus too, but it turns out I don't D: They're in there now, though. Boy, are they huge! I don't know very much about discus and I've only seen them in stores so it was new to me to see ones that big.