Should I be concerned?

mcmillanm

I personally never clean my filters, I unclog the intakes every so often an thats about it. water changes generally consist of 20L removed (240L tank) an then topped up to the top which generally is about 20-40L . I sometimes don't change my water for 3weeks an never have any problems. Over cleaning can be a bad thing so simply vacuum up the crap thats visible an top up the water.You also might be confusing your terms of clogged filters. If its enough to move water it doesn't need cleaning. If its coming out in bursts it blocked an needs unblocking not cleaning. all filters will have reduced flow when in good running order. others have pretty much covered this but don't be to concerned with cleaning a tank

You are getting some great advice here. I agree with it all. :thup:

To answer your question about filter wool, it is useful for removing particles from the water, but it gets clogged easily. Not only will clogged filter wool decrease the filter's flow, it also doesn't allow the bacteria good access to vital oxygen so it really isn't ideal for a long term filter option (unless you are specifically trying to remove particles from the water in which case you would change it often). It is better to use a combination of coarse sponges and ceramic 'noodles' and omit the filter wool altogether!

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I'll def stop cleaning the filters all the time (it will certainly save me some time) and in the meantime will continue with 2 water changes a week, moving ornaments every 2nd time to get any trapped gunk and keep an eye on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to see if I can reduce it to once a week in the future.

Thanks again :thup: