Help!! Tank Disaster looming

rkum070

I have a 130 litre tank (35 gal) that is filtered by a 60 gallon external filter. All my fish are at the top of the tank as if gasping for air? They seem to really be struggling, even my pleco sprints to the surface and back. What could the problem be?

1) My 130litre tank has, 2 YOUNG t-bar cichlid, 5 neons, 12 cherry barbs and one bristlenose pleco. So the tank is understocked and overfiltered.

2) I dont think it is amonia levels as i have never had this type of problem before,the tank has been running for 3 years now. Plus to remain on the safe side i did two 20% water changes, one on saturday and one today.

3) My filter output is aimed towards the surface of the tank to cause light ripples in order to oxygenate the water. Again i dont believe their is a lack of oxygen but i dont know?

PLEASE HELP

Is there any plants? I believe they do some reverse photosynthesis at night, so take in oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. If so there may be a lack of oxygen. Or maybe the temperature is too high? Water at higher temperature holds less oxygen than water at lower temperatures.

HTH

I though plants may be a problem so i took a number of them out. There isnt too many plants in the tank now so it shouldnt be a problem. In terms of pH, it is about the same (6.5-7). I think the problem might be the filter not being cleaned? I bought it at the start of the year and havent cleaned it since?

Is there any plants? I believe they do some reverse photosynthesis at night, so take in oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. If so there may be a lack of oxygen. Or maybe the temperature is too high? Water at higher temperature holds less oxygen than water at lower temperatures.

HTH

What is the temp?

Either way water changes are your friend do them multiple times a day 25% at a time (more if you can do some reasonably matched water..

What is the no3 and no2? and do an ammonia test if you can. If it was mine id be cleaning the filter out but use tank water to clean not tap water.

i had the same problem about a year ago and after cleaning filters it came right

i'm no expert but that's were i would start