Round 2 of Obstacle's big tank

the-obstacle

Nice fish, I agree with everyone else they look perfectly at home in that tank, well done it looks awesome... I look forward to updated pics as they grow! Only issue I can see is if there is any serious aggression as they start breeding there aren't many places for bullied fish to hide, but you can only play it by ear as they grow and see what is needed.

I fear this has already come true. I just found my largest female had been killed overnight. There are a few scales missing from her sides which I assume is from being attacked. Nothing obvious on the fins or tail though. Could be something else but the others all seem fine and there has been a bit of push and shove going on.

Bugger :( Even though you have some caves and stuff in there it is still very open and the fish wont actively seek out cover behind big rocks, even if they do the big fish will swim by see them and give chase again, although it doesn't look pretty it sometimes pays to have more rock work in there.. I have no experience with geos though so maybe others will comment.

If the fish was bullied to death then I would expect there to be fin damage as well unless she got really hammered in the side.

Bugger :( Even though you have some caves and stuff in there it is still very open and the fish wont actively seek out cover behind big rocks, even if they do the big fish will swim by see them and give chase again, although it doesn't look pretty it sometimes pays to have more rock work in there.. I have no experience with geos though so maybe others will comment.

If the fish was bullied to death then I would expect there to be fin damage as well unless she got really hammered in the side.

Yeah, I'm wondering if I should put a big school of tetra in there like I had with the lemons to take the focus away from the heckelii a bit. There are now 5 males and 2 females which I expect will be trouble going forward. I'm considering thinning the numbers down and selling 3 of the males so I'm left with 2 pairs. The trouble is picking which ones to keep. I'll keep an eye on it for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...