Sudden fish death

FreedingFrenzy

Hi guys,

I cleaned my tank today - approx 60% water change and did all the usual things and I looked again after about 4 hours and around 80% of my fish have died, including my 6yo shark :(. I was just wondering what could have caused this? I did what I usually do when I clean my tank, it has been set up for about 4 months now with no deaths, all my old fish from my older tank, my shark, my danios, my loaches and catfish have died, but my two gouramis have survived...

Quite distressing.

Help?

I did use chlorine remover, I don't have any test kits so I can't check the parameters... Definitely something I will be purchasing when I sort this crap out.

I did just dump it in... But I have always done that in the past and tried my best to ensure it's warm water and not hot or cold...

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I did water changes on 3 tanks. nothing different to usual. About an hour later I'm watching my fish die. Lost an entire colony of Demasoni, A tank full of young and juvenile tangs, all my daffodils which were starting to breed nicely and their babies.

The big africans lay on the bottom for a while but then came right. Put that down to a big tank = large volume of water and lots of filtration.

I wonder if water services or whatever had just dosed or overdosed with chlorine and it was bad timing