Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sudden fish death

Featured Replies

Hi guys,

I cleaned my tank today - approx 60% water change and did all the usual things and I looked again after about 4 hours and around 80% of my fish have died, including my 6yo shark :(. I was just wondering what could have caused this? I did what I usually do when I clean my tank, it has been set up for about 4 months now with no deaths, all my old fish from my older tank, my shark, my danios, my loaches and catfish have died, but my two gouramis have survived...

Quite distressing.

Help?

Did you use a chlorine remover? And what are your water parameters ie ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

This info will help

Good luck!

What method did you use to do your water change? Did you just dump a heap of water in there, there is a possibility that you shocked your fish with a 60% water change?

  • Author

I did use chlorine remover, I don't have any test kits so I can't check the parameters... Definitely something I will be purchasing when I sort this crap out.

I did just dump it in... But I have always done that in the past and tried my best to ensure it's warm water and not hot or cold...

Hi

Keep the water at a steady temperature, at this time of day but turn your lights off and don't feed for a day or so. Your water is already dechlorinated so there's not much else. Just don't stress them out even more.

Hope it all works out.

Matt

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I did water changes on 3 tanks. nothing different to usual. About an hour later I'm watching my fish die. Lost an entire colony of Demasoni, A tank full of young and juvenile tangs, all my daffodils which were starting to breed nicely and their babies.

The big africans lay on the bottom for a while but then came right. Put that down to a big tank = large volume of water and lots of filtration.

I wonder if water services or whatever had just dosed or overdosed with chlorine and it was bad timing

  • Author

All but my two gouramis died, and the female has a visible fuzziness on her - but nowhere near to the level of a fungus. If it is the water system... That is damn annoying.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.