skimmer questin;;;

anthony law

As far as I know salinity increases surface tension. So it won't really work to well with fresh water as it doesn't have enough tension to create foam, well at least not as much. Plus if your trying to grow plants all that surface disturbance would release the co2 wouldn't it?

As far as I know salinity increases surface tension. So it won't really work to well with fresh water as it doesn't have enough tension to create foam, well at least not as much. Plus if your trying to grow plants all that surface disturbance would release the co2 wouldn't it?

i was thnking to put it on my 3000 liter tank.

any way how are you..had your opp yet on your back. .nymox..

Yeah I read something similar too spoon.

Answers courtesy of google.

Yes it can though it won't work very well. The higher the density of the water the better the skimmer will work. Higher density water has greater surface tension and therefore makes bubbles with organics easier. This does occur in freshwater as well though to a lesser degree. We've all seen scum type foam at high turbulence areas like beaches, rapids, rocky areas and waterfalls in both saltwater and freshwater areas. This is natures protein skimmer.

By the way there isn't any downside to using the skimmer unless you have a planted aquarium and then you would dispell all of the co2, which the plants need.

Yes you can use a protein skimmer in fresh water though they don't really work well in that application due to the fact that fresh water doesn't hold protein nearly as well as salt.

I would tend to think the top answer is the more accurate, take the dead sea for example.

i was thnking to put it on my 3000 liter tank.

any way how are you..had your opp yet on your back. .nymox..

Unless your going to use the 3000 ltr to do a marine I wouldn't use the extra power to drive the pump, although with all your tanks it probably won't be noticed as an increase in power use lol. MMMM 3000 ltr local marine.....Whoops dreaming again. No op yet, still some time to wait too at least I got rid of the wheelchair haha, the novelty of being treat differently soon wore off. But all that aside I'm good mate, new tank arriving next week so what could be better, flick us a PM next time your heading down to the porthole I'll come down and say Hi :D