January 28, 200521 yr comment_37396 Can anyone tell me what this fish is please? I bought it as a Platy but the males are indifferent to her and her shape does look a little different to the others - could she be a Swordtail? The red one on the left IS a Platy in this photo Report
January 28, 200521 yr comment_37400 its a female sword tail from the looks of it, quite a nice colour too Report
January 28, 200521 yr comment_37408 I'd agree its a female sword but maybe with some platy in it as they can cross breed. Report
January 28, 200521 yr comment_37410 Could you please post a Bigger picture. I can not see it properly, It looks like a swordtail merigold crossed platy. Shae Report
January 28, 200521 yr comment_37425 Does it matter really? All are the same Xiphophorus sp and all cross breed. Report
January 28, 200521 yr comment_37428 and these are prolly already crossbred to get the color variations, fins, etc. Alan 104 Report
January 28, 200521 yr comment_37429 you missed out the "s" Caryl When swordtails are crossbreed with platy you get shortened swords and duller colours, if possible, keep them apart, however most platy and swordtail have already been crossbreed if you could trace there genetics back. I am something of a hipocrit sp I keep swordtails with platy. Shae Report
January 28, 200521 yr Author comment_37430 Thanks everyone, I thought as much. No Caryl it doesn't really matter but I just wanted to make sure as I've never had Swordtails before. Shae, it's too late now but if you want to see closer up photos just click on the originals here:- http://photobucket.com/albums/v616/Pandoras-Fish/ Report
February 2, 200521 yr comment_37931 I read an article in a book on the genetics of swordtails. Wild swords (green) were origionally crossed with platties to give them the colour.The offspring were then crossed again back to the wild type and there offspring crossed again and again to retain the colour but keep the swordtail genes. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.