My low maintenance planted tank

bobo

Hey guys,

I'm posting this because it's a tank I'm pretty happy with.

I wanted a planted tank which took very little maintenance, so if you want something similar, you could go about it somewhat like this.

The details:

Tank: 120cm x 60cm x45cm

Filter: Some kind of big canister filter and the filter in the hood :)

Lights: 3x39 T5s, 6500K

Dosing:

Twice a week a few drops of a homebrew fertilizer bought off trademe

Once a month (with waterchange), overdose of excel - to kill any BBA (get a small amount as you can see in the logs)

Maintenance:

Currently one 50% water change a month. I think I will push it out to every two months. Now and then I clip the stem plants.

Randomly run the magnet across the glass - a light green dust gradually collects.

Fish:

Red Tail Shark

A few cories

3 Kribs

2 Angelfish

4 Bristlenose

~12 Tigerbarbs

I'm not much of an aquascaper - so I just chucked in whatever plants I could get my hands on that would go ok in low light.

img01961gd.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:D

I like how you have positioned the plants. very pretty.

Heh. The only real thought I gave to positioning is that I wanted a 'carpet' in the centre, surrounded by crypts - that took a looooong time to grow in; in fact I didn't think that foreground plant was going to. That area still has a way to go, but its getting there.

All the swords are there simply because I happened to have a whole bunch lying around, and I needed to fill the tank in - that side is a bit bland for me.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Really the biggest positive for me is being able to keep an interesting, low maintenance tank. I just had a baby, and I think the 50% weekly water changes I was giving the Oscar that was in there would have killed me.