Resun Chiller

dapdap

Hello All

Two days ago I got myself a Resun C0500 chiller for my 300 litre seahorse tank. It's very good (if a bit noisy!!!). but the instructions were completely in Chinese and there are a couple of issues I'm hoping you folks might be able to help me with.

The first concerns 'Flow Rate'. The minimum recommended flow rate for this model (as far as I can make out!) is 2000 l/h. The pump I am using only generates 400 l/h. The machine is working perfectly fine. It has taken the temp down to 17C and maintains it there. But I'm a bit worried that I might be doing the machine some harm by running it a flow rate much less than recommended - Any thoughts?

Also - I'd like to be able to turn it off for a couple of hours at night (so that we can watch telly without it blasting in the background!). Again I'm worried that switching it off and on every day might harm it? Anyone know if they need to run continuously or not?

I asked the same questions of the petshop that sold it to me and they had no idea.

Hope someone can help - It was too expensive to break!!!

Thanks for your reply Chimera.

I am struggling to find information, but the following website has some stats:

http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/ordering ... llers.html

It states that the minimum flow rate is 500gph (which is about 2000 litres per hour)

The chiller is much bigger than my tank needs, so the flow rate it is running on works okay. I'm just concerned that it might damage the chiller.

I have read on one site that running the chiller at a rate lower than recommended could damage it.

I've got the Resun CL 280, run it on less tha 1/2 the recommended flow for the last two years, still working fine. I think the recommended flow rate is simply a function of getting thorough waterflow around the complete coil, and bringing a certain sized tank down at a certain rate.

Noise, can be very clunky type noises. However I've spent a bit of time leveling up the feet, and now it is quiter than I ever thought possible.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

It sounds like running the chiller at a reduced flow rate shouldn't do it any harm.

That's very good to know! :D

What about turning it off at night for an hour or two and back on again? I should think the temperature in the tank should only rise by about 2 -3 degrees, so it wouldn't take much for the chiller to bring it down again. So I can't see any reason why turning it off for short periods of time should do any harm - just thought I'd ask people with more experience

I'd like to move it out of the room but it's not feasible

You are right, Ben, about it turning off and on in short periods of time. The room temperature is about 25C and I'm bringing the temp down to 17C. At the moment it's coming on for 2 minutes, then stays off for 8 minutes. I think this is partially happening because of the low flow rate. The chiller is actually working 3 degrees below the real temp. It takes it down to 14 (real temp 17). Then activates again at 16 (real temp about 17.5). I think if I passed water through more quickly it would be able to work closer to the real tank temperature.

But I REALLY don't want to see any more pipes, leads or equipment!

How long do other user's chillers come on for and stay off for? Is anyone else trying to get their temperature down to 17C?

Thanks again for your quick responses and help.

I have purchased a CL650 which is over kill for my 4ft tank... I have an Eheim 1260 l/hr return pump from my sump which goes through a UV unit and then through the chiller which is situated next to the tank. The chiller runs about 5-10min each hour and the temp move about 2deg either side of the set point.

Nosie.... well my wife calls it the "747" and like you it's a pain at night when watching the box.

We are moving and building soon and I am looking at puting the thing in a box outside... pipes through the concrete. This will slow down the flow rate with longer hoses.

Another post stated that leveling the feet helped so I am interested in this option but are not convinced it will help.

Must say I like the tank at a stable temp 25deg not 30+

Let me know if you work out how to reduce the noice from 747 to fridge.